Long range gun

Ty Stutzman

I have a question if someone could help me. I have a Remington Sendero in 7mm ultra mag. with a Huskemaw scope. I love the gun but it is very heavy to carry and the ammunition is very expensive. I have found a Christensen Arms Ridgeline model 14 in a 300 win mag. I am wondering if the 300 will work like my 7mm as far as long range and can I use factory ammunition in the 300. Thanks for your time.

They're in the same ballpark power, recoil and range wise and ammo is about half as expensive. Personally I hate .30 cal anything but if you don't then it is in fact a decent option. The way you've asked your question actually makes for a bit of a problem in providing answers that are always correct because any answer to it will only be valid under very specific circumstances but your question is phrased extremely broadly. The short of that is, yeah, it's fine.

Well yes and no. Is a good shooting 300 wm mag good for long range shooting?-absolutely! Is there great long range factory ammo for it?-yes. How good will your gun shoot it? Unknown, but you'll probably find something that works well and for less $ than the 7 ultra mag. Will the 300 wm shoot as flat as a 7 ultra mag-No.--unless you run poor ammo in the 7.
Will a lighter rifle shoot as good as a heavier one?Yes.--BUT- nearly all shooters are more accurate with a heavier rifle,especially at longer ranges.
Personally I would start reloading whatever rifle you use. How much weight your willing to carry for a hunting rifle is really a personal choice. I prefer lighter weight if I am walking much. If I am only going short distances,like to a stand or the edge of a field then it really doesn't matter.

Well yes and no. Is a good shooting 300 wm mag good for long range shooting?-absolutely! Is there great long range factory ammo for it?-yes. How good will your gun shoot it? Unknown, but you'll probably find something that works well and for less $ than the 7 ultra mag. Will the 300 wm shoot as flat as a 7 ultra mag-No.--unless you run poor ammo in the 7.
Will a lighter rifle shoot as good as a heavier one?Yes.--BUT- nearly all shooters are more accurate with a heavier rifle,especially at longer ranges.
Personally I would start reloading whatever rifle you use. How much weight your willing to carry for a hunting rifle is really a personal choice. I prefer lighter weight if I am walking much. If I am only going short distances,like to a stand or the edge of a field then it really doesn't matter.
Thank you for your time. I do a lot of walking and I am looking for a lighter rifle. I shoot the Best of the West ammunition. I know I should reload but I don't have that much time. I am going to get another rifle but was looking at a 7 mm and I seen a 300 win mag that was priced right and just wanted some thought on how it would work, you answered my questions thank you.

They're in the same ballpark power, recoil and range wise and ammo is about half as expensive. Personally I hate .30 cal anything but if you don't then it is in fact a decent option. The way you've asked your question actually makes for a bit of a problem in providing answers that are always correct because any answer to it will only be valid under very specific circumstances but your question is phrased extremely broadly. The short of that is, yeah, it's fine.
Thank you for your time you have answered the questions I was looking for.

Your welcome. One more thing. If you don't plan on reloading anytime soon I would definitely go with a 300wm. Lots more choices for store bought ammo and more reasonable on cost. Also there are much lighter options for glass on a hunting rifle.Nothing wrong with your glass but I am betting a bit heavier than needed.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.