338 solids vs. leadcore

ChristoC

Maybe someone can help me understand this.

Few days ago I shot with Sierra gameking 215gr bullets at a hardened steel plate at 100m and the bullets when right through.

Then I shot the same plate with Peregine (local manuf) 220gr solid brass bullets and they only made a small brass mark.

Speed were almost the same. 2670v/s if I remember correctly.

Could it be the kenetic effect of the leadcore that acted like a RPG7 would or what is the reason behind this.

Attachments

• IMG-20130202-00806.jpg
    IMG-20130202-00806.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 93
If I had to guess and that's really what I'm doing you have it backwards, or chance found you week spots in the steel. It looks at thought there is a hole cut in the middle of your target, if it was done with a torch it would have compromised the brinel strength around the hole, making is softer than the surrounding steel.

The reference to the RPG, is similar to a APFSDS or EFP (explosively formed projectile). In concept I know what you are referencing but lead it to soft for such a task. Its melting point is to low, so it would lack the required density. In a round like you are referencing you would nee a metal like tungsten, or depleted uranium. Copper is used in gorilla warfare to make an EFP which is a liquid under pressure the essentially cuts through steel. Very scary cheep and effective weapon!

The metal plates "gongs" were cut and the hardened. It could be that the metal changed its structure when cut.

My referring to the RPG was more crude. I think that maybe there was something like a dubble inpact ie. that the tip of the bullet hit, gave way and the rest of the bullet kinda imploded on this point. We used to pull 7,62 bullets we shot in FN's and reverse them in the brass, them fired them at the old standard metal plates of the army. Up to 70m they did the same thing to these metal plates.

I always thought of monolithic copper rounds as to be beter structured an should penetrate beter than conventional bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.