338 sherman short range report

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Got to the range on Sat to do some load development with the 338 Sherman Short Mag. This rifle is a Proof cf 24". We had shot it a week ago or so with a 222g Hammer Hunter and did not find what we were really looking for. We were not able to get the vel that we expected with the lighter bullet and when we did the accuracy went south. This trip we went with a 235g Hammer Hunter loaded with Varget and got a muzzle vel of 2840fps with an es of 15fps. This produced a 1 1/8" 4 shot group at 200y.

Seems that the 338 Sherman Short Mag is more efficient with the heavier bullets. We were only able to get an extra 50fps with the 222g bullet and just could not get enough powder in the case no matter which powder we tried to get good results. We thought about trying even heavier bullets but the loss of vel just does not justify the heavier bullet. As soon as it warms up we will get it out and shoot it long to verify bc/drops with the New 235g Hammer Hunter. Preliminary calculations put this combo as a solid 800y elk rifle.

Here are some pics from the range.
338 Sherman 200y.jpg Sherman 200y group setting the zero.

338 Sherman Short mag.jpg Pretty cool. Bullet is seated with the base right at the case neck junction maximizing capacity.

375 AM 338 SS.jpg Ha! Next to a 375 Allen Mag that we were zeroing with the 411g Hammer Hunter.

375 Allen Mag 200y group.jpg 3/4" 200y group with the 375 Allen Mag zeroing.

Should be at least .294 g7. With the secant ogive I am hoping for a bit more. Hoping weather cooperates in the next few days and we can go stretch it out.

Just got my 338 SS back from Steve at Hammer Bullets

Built by Straight Jacket Armory
24" proof barrel 1:9.4 twist
Peircision self timing brake
Manners EH2 stock
Stiller Predator Action
Athlon Cronus BTR scope (going to swap for my 2.5-10 NXS)
And got 100 rounds of pain from Hammer all loaded up with 235 grain Hammer Hunters
Currently weighs in at 10Lbs

Now I just need to shoot it :)

20190410_061625.jpg

Big thanks to @Nick@Straight-Jacket , @elkaholic, and @RockyMtnMT for the rifle build, 338ss caliber design, load work and bullets. My daughter put the rifle to work this wisconsin deer season and came home with a nice 8 pointer.

125 yards quartering towards her she pulled rifle up asked where to shoot I said draw imaginary line from point of aim to exit. She started to breath fast and remembered her training and slowed her breathing down and took the shot through front of right shoulder out the back of the left shoulder she double lunged him it was bang flop DRT. She is ecstatic. Rifle, Bullets, and Caliber did great.

Resized_20191127_180048.jpeg Resized_20191127_180059.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.