300Ultra Range Report

now what is a comparator?
i was told in a gunshop to put a bullet into the case losley and put it in the chamber, close it, take it out and measure it , then go back 10 thou.
i tried it last night but the coal was around 3.750, now is this safe to use cause all i read is that the length should be 3.600. am i still alright?

I used to do something similar until I finally got sick of it and decided to go for the more accurate way. I would bite the unsized neck putting little dents around it just enough to hold the bullet slide it in until the blolt closed. Also tried many other methods like smoking the bullet with a candle etc. etc. etc. Not consistent enough. JMHO. Using the system above and the comparator as huntinco suggested is been the most accurate way I've been able to do it with.

Guy's, Eaglet is giving you the directions to do this correctly, not some half ***'ed way to get close..

Listen the jwp475!!! :)

Truly, it works well. In fact, previously obtained dimensions that I thought were pretty close, I could not believe how off they were.

hodgehodge,

The bullet comparator is the device attached to the micrometer as seen in the pic below. You can get inserts for different bullet diameters. The comparator will give you measurements to the ogive of the bullet instead of the tip of the bullet. Since the tip changes so much dimension wise, you just get a reading from the ogive.

Gear_Stoney_Point_CompWCase.jpg
p044517sq01.jpg

ok great that makes alot more sence.

yesterday i made some longer rounds just to try, i took 3 shots, #2 #3 were touching and #1 is always off by a bit, do you know what this is from, or should i shoot all shots when the barrel is cold?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.