second range report

wjarrell

This is an update from a couple weeks ago. I'm trying to fine tune the load in my gun. From my first post,

Remington 700 ADL 7mm Rem Mag (bone stock except I adjusted the trigger pull)
Talley lightweight rings
Vortex Viper HS LR 4x16-44

168 Berger VLD
Norma brass
Retumbo
CCI-250
COAL 3.40 about .020" off the lands
(previous load was .070" off the lands)

I jerked the third shot, with out the third shot it was about .5 inch.

Same load two days later. Once again I jerked the third shot. I'm known for shooting two really good shots and getting all excited that I think I'm gonna shoot a good group and eff it all up.:D

on ur second group it looks to have 4 of 5 in a nickle size group, looking good! Have u played with any other primers?

3 powders to try would be 7828 SSC, 7977, and H1000. As for primers, the Federal 215M's work great for me.

I use a lot of CCI primers, but mainly in things I shoot in volume, like revolvers, fire-forming brass, AR's, etc... I try to save my Federal primers for my precision rifle loads.

Also, are you neck-sizing, or FL sizing your cases? Try neck-sizing. I get the best results from neck-sizing cases after fire-forming them to my chamber.

Also, are you neck-sizing, or FL sizing your cases? Try neck-sizing. I get the best results from neck-sizing cases after fire-forming them to my chamber.
I'm full length sizing. I haven't tried just neck sizing only because I don't know how and I don't have the proper die. I have the RCBS FL 2 die kit.

I'm full length sizing. I haven't tried just neck sizing only because I don't know how and I don't have the proper die. I have the RCBS FL 2 die kit.

Neck sizing is simple. You set it up just like a FL sizing die (if you buy the actual neck-sizing die), and all it does is size just the case necks.

Midway is out of stock, but supposed to be back in stock on the 26th... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/481624/rcbs-neck-sizer-die-7mm-remington-magnum

Brownells has them in stock... http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...g-sku749004174-35053-67825.aspx?sku=749004174

Many have some luck jumping the VLD bullets a little more. Try 0.080 to 0.100 off the lands. See if that tightens the group up any. We all hear you when it comes to the stress of putting that last shot of the group in the same hole. I have uttered some pretty foul language when I screw that last shot up.

Also, learn to set up your FL dies to just touch the shoulder of the case back 0.002-0.003. Some call it bump sizing. That will give you a full neck size and will just touch the case up enough that it chambers a little easier than cases that have just been neck sized. I usually neck size a load or two, and then bump size when they get difficult to chamber.

I use 215m and wlrm primers in mine. Good results if you end up trying other primers. Also h1000. But I like retumbo in mine. Rl 22 and 25 did good also but seemed temp swings thru off Es and Sd.

If you can find them try wolf large rifle primer, they made a believer out of me just get 100 where i got them they were 4 bucks per 100

Many have some luck jumping the VLD bullets a little more. Try 0.080 to 0.100 off the lands. See if that tightens the group up any. We all hear you when it comes to the stress of putting that last shot of the group in the same hole. I have uttered some pretty foul language when I screw that last shot up.

Also, learn to set up your FL dies to just touch the shoulder of the case back 0.002-0.003. Some call it bump sizing. That will give you a full neck size and will just touch the case up enough that it chambers a little easier than cases that have just been neck sized. I usually neck size a load or two, and then bump size when they get difficult to chamber.

This is important on belted cases. Most will grow .008-.012 on the first firing. You probably won't touch the shell holder if set up properly. Unless you have the competition she'll holder set.

Another little update. Sense I found a decent load I loaded up 40 rounds and went to the range to get it zeroed in shoot a bit. I either had a bad day or my gun finally fouled out. Packed up and went home and tried it again the next day. Same thing, couldn't get better than a 2" group at 100yards so I'm gonna say it's time for a good copper cleaning. The reason why I think it's copper fouled is because it went form shooting .75 MOA or better to around 2 MOA. It shot good sense the gun was new and now that I have put about 100 rounds through it the accuracy is really falling off. Atleast that's the only reason I can come up with why my gun went from good accuracy to not acceptable accuracy when I haven't changed anything.

Another little update. Sense I found a decent load I loaded up 40 rounds and went to the range to get it zeroed in shoot a bit. I either had a bad day or my gun finally fouled out. Packed up and went home and tried it again the next day. Same thing, couldn't get better than a 2" group at 100yards so I'm gonna say it's time for a good copper cleaning. The reason why I think it's copper fouled is because it went form shooting .75 MOA or better to around 2 MOA. It shot good sense the gun was new and now that I have put about 100 rounds through it the accuracy is really falling off. Atleast that's the only reason I can come up with why my gun went from good accuracy to not acceptable accuracy when I haven't changed anything.

I'm betting you are fouled up as well ! Good luck with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts