338 Sherman & Sherman Short

I expect powders in the RL-22/MRP/7828SSC burn rate range to work well with bullets in the 225-250 grain weight range. Having never had my hands on RL-23, I don't know how bulky it is. By burn rate, it should be a good fit and its improved temp stability should be a nice bonus. My question is whether or not it will fit in the case.

I have 23 as well as Rich does. It is very bulky compared to 26. He has played with it in dummy rounds and expects it to work well. It was to fast burn and bulky for the 300ss with the heavies. It probably would work with 200 and under grain in 300 ss.
I'm anxiously waiting for results with 338 sherman as it would probably be my next build depending....

Rhian is chambering mine today and then a brake and later Nitride so it will be a while yet. RL23 is much more bulky than 26. It will hold about 4 grains less in the Sherman case but may work well with the lighter bullets. I think the Sherman will REALLY shine with 26 and the 250's and maybe even with the 225's? I think I am conservative at 2800' with the 250 Berger (ya, I know that sounds exaggerated)! It would not surprise me to get 2800+ even with the 24" barrel I am going to run.As someone mentioned, if I can reach max with 71-72 grains of 26 with a 250 then I think 26 will work in the SS case?................Rich

Rich,
One of my sons is very interested in this as he's building a switch barrel (Remage) rifle on his now 25-06 Rem 700 action. It would be awesome to have both a mag and standard rifle all based on the same bolt and action. When will you be having the reamers go gauge and dies available for these?

Thanks, Les Callender

Rich,
One of my sons is very interested in this as he's building a switch barrel (Remage) rifle on his now 25-06 Rem 700 action. It would be awesome to have both a mag and standard rifle all based on the same bolt and action. When will you be having the reamers go gauge and dies available for these?

Thanks, Les Callender

YES!

Well, the wait is over with somewhat surprising info! "Bigngreen" got my 338 Sherman together and between himself, a friend, and his dad, "Cmantha", we have some data. The initial results with RL26 were not what I had hoped for. Even though you could get enough in the case, it seems the bore size does not produce enough INITIAL pressure to make it work. It never did pressure out but velocity increases with a several grain spread were unusually low! (normally 50' per grain). It reached the mid 2700's but increasing the charge neither pressured it out or increased the velocity much!
Now for the good news! Cliff loaded up some 250 Bergers with RL17 this morning and things started happening. The pressures increased consistently with each grain increase and he reached a node near the top where a 3 grain spread shot in about 1 1/2 " at 100 yards. His top load fired was 62.5 grains which reached 2802", "IN A 24" BARREL FOLKS", and Cliff said he felt there was a little more left!:) This is super exciting for me and especially since we can do it with a faster burning powder. I think this may bode very well for the new RL16 which I have on the shelf. It is supposedly just a touch slower than 17 but is VERY temp stable. Also, I now believe that N560 may have a lot of potential with the 250's.
It also looks as if 3150', or more, is possible with a 200 grainer. We used both Norma and RWS brass for the test and have plans to try PRVI with another build coming soon from a certain forum member. His barrel will be 26", but I will leave his story for him.
I believe the potential for this round is unlimited with all the old '06 sized actions laying around! Can you say 4400 ft/lbs.:D Initially I was thinking of this round as a closer range elk and bear thumper, which it will be. I now am seeing serious long range potential with the 250 Bergers at around only 24 moa at 1000 yards!
There will be more data coming, hopefully not too far off, since I am in the moving process AGAIN! ...........Rich

Glad to hear a report on this! That's a pretty impressive velocity for the 250 Berger in a 24" barrel! Definitely looking forward to seeing more results.

That's 340 wby territory which is amazing. Looks like the 4350-4831 burn rate is where you want to be. 100V and as you suggested Rl16 may get you the stability and speed your looking for. Awesome stuff right there

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.