338 Sherman & Sherman Short

The new 338 option looks neat! Glad you got around to messing with it and getting it started =) Looks pretty stout!

Any updates on the 338 SS. I figure now that most everyone's hunting seasons have ended, this project would be just the thing to pass the slow winter days.
Still watching this intently.

I'm curious to see if the little case lives up to the expectations with such a heavy and fat bullet. If it does, I may be interested too =)

The rumors I have heard deal with the big case, not the little one. It will hold about 4 grs. more RL26 than the SS.......Rich

I like the sound of these rumors! Definitely excited to see the results. I've got a 25-06 that might need a 338 barrel!

I think people will be pretty amazed at the performance if everything turns out the way that I expect! Can you say 4300+ ft. lbs. in an '06 size case

I think people will be pretty amazed at the performance if everything turns out the way that I expect! Can you say 4300+ ft. lbs. in an '06 size case
Are you saying you think 2650 with the 300gn bullet is feasible?? That's faster than a 338win mag

Are you saying you think 2650 with the 300gn bullet is feasible?? That's faster than a 338win mag

No that is not quite what I am saying. I am going to shoot the 250 at 2800. If I don't, you can say "told you so"!:D
Before you put too much $$ on it though, remember the 6.5, 270, 280, and 300 that everyone thought would not do what it was supposed to, and there is plenty of evidence being built around the country that says otherwise........Rich

Last edited:
No that is not quite what I am saying. I am going to shoot the 250 at 2800. If I don't, you can say "told you so"!:D
Before you put too much $$ on it though, remember the 6.5, 270, 280, and 300 that everyone thought would not do what it was supposed to, and there is plenty of evidence being built around the country that says otherwise........Rich
That is still faster than book 338 win mag velocities with a 250. It's not my cup of chowder however I'm sure there are lots of hunters out west looking at nirvana with those type of numbers in a available and cost effective case

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.