338 Sherman & Sherman Short

That is still faster than book 338 win mag velocities with a 250. It's not my cup of chowder however I'm sure there are lots of hunters out west looking at nirvana with those type of numbers in a available and cost effective case

I agree. That is the way every one has turned out; faster than the book equivalent belted magnum.......Rich

Any actual data available yet for this round? Your post about possible profits has peaked my interest in this or the 300 SS.

Any actual data available yet for this round? Your post about possible profits has peaked my interest in this or the 300 SS.

Nothing yet but it should be out in a month or so. Velocities are based on all the other chamberings so should be pretty close.......Rich

Coming soon...

Attachments

• P1000571.jpg
    P1000571.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 174
338 SS would be awesome! I hammered a lot of elk with a 338-300 WSM, but wasn't anywhere near the velocities you're looking at. Very curious how your 338 turns out.

I'm dyin' to know myself. The suspense is killing me!:D The smith has only had my rifle for a couple of days. The muzzle brake should be there in a few more days. I keep telling myself to be patient. It's not working...

Sounds like it should be a lot of fun - looking forward to seeing your results. I may be ordering a 338 blank if your results are promising!

I am confident this cartridge will produce drop and drift numbers very comparable to the well-proven Berger 215/.300 Win Mag combination, with a bit more thump.

The key combination for this cartridge is going to be RL-26 and the Berger 250's.

I am also excited to see how the CE 252's and CE 200's perform.

The velocity gains with RL26 is pretty amazing isn't it. Is the burn rate going to be too slow for your case, or just right?

I imagine RL 26 will be just right with the Sherman but depending if he can pressure out with it in the Sherman will probably determine if if will work in the SS. I gave Rich some N560 to give a try also but after my testing with it in the 300 SS and 215 berger I think it will work with the 225 grain class or lighter. It may be a good choice for the 338 SS though.
I would get a 338 Sherman if I didnt have so much going on right now to make a new timber rifle. I think a 210 Scirocco would be a great bullet that I hope Rich tests also...

I imagine RL 26 will be just right with the Sherman but depending if he can pressure out with it in the Sherman will probably determine if if will work in the SS. I gave Rich some N560 to give a try also but after my testing with it in the 300 SS and 215 berger I think it will work with the 225 grain class or lighter. It may be a good choice for the 338 SS though.

I concur with this assessment. It looks like RL-26 will be ideal for the 250's in the 338 Sherman. I believe it will pressure out with a couple grains to spare. It may also work with the 225's. If it pressures out in the Sherman, there is a good chance it will work in the SS.

I believe RL-17 will be just about perfect for the 200's and will do well with the 225's. RL-16 should yield nearly identical performance, with better temp stability.

I concur with this assessment. It looks like RL-26 will be ideal for the 250's in the 338 Sherman. I believe it will pressure out with a couple grains to spare. It may also work with the 225's. If it pressures out in the Sherman, there is a good chance it will work in the SS.

I believe RL-17 will be just about perfect for the 200's and will do well with the 225's. RL-16 should yield nearly identical performance, with better temp stability.

I think rl 16 will be good with the light bullets also. I'm not a big fan of 17. I think rl 23 will also work well with lighter pills since it's faster than 16 but isn't near as dense and good for temp. Another powder I've had great luck with in a wide range of cartridges is hybrid 100v. I'll give rich some 100v to test also if we meet up again. Right in same burn speed as 17 but way better for temp. My testing came up with .65 fps per degree and I've seen other people's test come up with .73 so not bad. Rl 17 usually is well over 1 fps per degree.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.