.338 savage 110 repeater

Think there is a reason Savage doesn't make a 300 RUM on a small shank anymore...
http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...ForumID5&mark=21448&az=next_topic&archive=yes
Read that back in the day! I don't know, I'v yet to come close to failure but, I have run some HOTTT loads through my STW where the case head has separated, primers blown out, cases stuck and broken extractor (switch to the steel if you haven't). I build my magnum/long cartridges on the 1990's vintage models, when I can find one.

It's a false worry. My current 110, 28 Nosler is small shank. It was 7STW before that. If it's a concern, the original Shilen barrel 7STW, was done without the barrel nut, Remmy style.
PTG Savage machined bolt head

Attachments

• precision-machined-savage-bolt-heads.jpg
    precision-machined-savage-bolt-heads.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 88
Think there is a reason Savage doesn't make a 300 RUM on a small shank anymore...
http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...ForumID5&mark=21448&az=next_topic&archive=yes
Wish I could view an HD image of the rifle? It looks like it was an EXTREME CATASTROPHIC BOLT THRUST FAILURE?! As if the case didn't expand in the chamber to grip the walls and all the PSI (Max working PSI 64,000) went the path of least resistance, rearward? He also states "handloads". Did this particular round have an over-sized bullet (180 Triple Shok Moly) or even harder?! Or pushing this particular Barnes bullet too fast, because of a lack of "normal pressure" signs associated with an "uncoated" bullet, due to the moly-coating?!

Hodgdon Data: 338LM 250 Gr, IMR8133 100.5C max charge, PSI 61,600 FWIW

No bueno Hecho en China?!

He said 3 others exploded. I think Savage quit doing the 300 RUM after this. Also Savage started the Win WSM chambers with a small shank but had issues with barrel swelling. That is why they went to the large shank on the 300 WSM.

I don't understand what happened to this rifle either. Looks like the camber of the barrel is OK. It still has the barrel nut on it. I don't see the actual bolt face either. Looks like the bolt is bent some.

I don't believe the made in China bit. Don't think Savage would have done that. Seems they have always had pride in the made in USA thing.

"The head of the case is not attached, from the belt forward is still in the chamber."

Way too much in there! Scary **** anyway you look at it! I do several ammo checks in my process, can never be TOO SAFE.

He said 3 others exploded. I think Savage quit doing the 300 RUM after this. Also Savage started the Win WSM chambers with a small shank but had issues with barrel swelling. That is why they went to the large shank on the 300 WSM.

I don't understand what happened to this rifle either. Looks like the camber of the barrel is OK. It still has the barrel nut on it. I don't see the actual bolt face either. Looks like the bolt is bent some.

I don't believe the made in China bit. Don't think Savage would have done that. Seems they have always had pride in the made in USA thing.
Right, that's what I see. ..the barrel didn't fail, the receiver did and it was too much for the gas ports to handle?!

Right, that's what I see. ..the barrel didn't fail, the receiver did and it was too much for the gas ports to handle?!
More I look at it the more it looks like a squib load? Maybe the bullet started but stuck in the barrel and then the main pressure from all powder came and it exploded out the back. And maybe like you say the gas ports couldn't handle that

Barrelnut, last item and I'm done with this... A simple thing, that can turn deadly, the end of the case neck that is too long and contacts the end of the chamber, which when chambered crimps the bullet excessively and bad things happen.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 89
OK, one last item. I read through all the Monster Muley posts and post #49, I remember this now from buying Savage parts at SSS.

49. "RE: Savage 116 keeps blowing up"
Here is what I found regarding changes made to the Savage 300RUM series bolt heads.Courtesy of Sharp Shooter Supply. . Firing Pins & Bolt Faces
Over the last several years Savage has incorporated some design changes that need to be addressed in order to acquire the correct parts for your Savage rifle project.

For the last several years, Savage has used a smaller diameter firing pin on their magnum caliber rifles. The reason behind this is the bolt head retaining pin can use a small diameter through hole which makes it stronger. The standard caliber firing pin measures .145" in the area it would pass through the cross pin, the magnum pins are .095" in that area. Because the firing pin diameter is smaller, the cross pin hole is smaller. So is the the diameter of the hole through the bolt head.

Starting in 2001, Savage firing pin diameters were reduced on ALL models. Therefore, when ordering bolt heads it is important to know what diameter firing pin you have to work around.

On the WSM and UltraMag calibers, Savage changed to a controlled round feed bolt head in order to provide reliable feeding from the magazine. This bolt head differs from the rest by having the bottom lip cut away from the bolt face so that the cartridge rim can slide into the extractor instead of snapping over the extractor. Instead of a spring loaded ejector in the bolt face, this bolt head uses a standing ejector located at the rear of the receiver that pops up through a slot on the bottom left side of the bolt head to tip the case out. This is the only way to get the larger cases to feed from a magazine. Also... Barrel Shanks
In 2002 Savage offered rifles in the Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) and Remington Ultra Magnum (RUM) calibers. When these were finally in the catalog, there was a change made to the barrel shank diameter. Standard barrel shank diameter on standard calibers are 1.055" x 20tpi. On the new WSM, RUM, and SAUM calibers it is 1.120" x 20tpi. The barrel nut is also bigger in internal size, but is the same outer diameter and our barrel nut wrench will still fit. Savage also used this size of shank on the first version of the Model 10ML muzzleloader.

However, there were a few WSM and RUM rifles made on the standard barrel shank in the first production run. The best way to tell is to measure the barrel shank right against the nut. The larger barrel shank will have a step down approximately 1/8" ahead of the barrel nut. If your rifle has a serial number with a "G" prefix, it is most probable it will have the larger shank.

Hey guys, new here and starting a new project. What options do I have for a .338 caliber repeater in a savage long action with stock bottom metal (approx 3.4")? Want to have elk knock down power at 800.

Contender # 1 for me is the 33 nosler. Lapua and edge are out. Any others that I should look into?

On a side note, Does anyone have first hand accuracy info on the 375 ruger from a custom rifle?

Thank you for your suggestions
Dang this rabbit went DEEP! I think I talked myself into a 33 Nosler, as I already have a 28 Nosler 110?!?!

Hey guys, new here and starting a new project. What options do I have for a .338 caliber repeater in a savage long action with stock bottom metal (approx 3.4")? Want to have elk knock down power at 800.

Contender # 1 for me is the 33 nosler. Lapua and edge are out. Any others that I should look into?

On a side note, Does anyone have first hand accuracy info on the 375 ruger from a custom rifle?

Thank you for your suggestions

The 338/375 Ruger is a great option for you if you're ok with a wildcat. The smaller diameter case is a better fit for a small shank Savage action than the larger diameter 33 Nosler, and the ballistics will be identical. It's a simple case to form, just run a 375 Ruger case into a 338 RCM die and you're done.

From a 26" barrel you'd be around 2800-2850 with a 250gr bullet with a 3.400" OAL. For load data you can just go off of either 330 Dakota or 33 Nosler data.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts