.338 lapua on savage 110?

ZSteinle

I am wanting to make my savage predator hunter max 1 6.5x284 into a switch barrel rig. Figured I would order a pre fit barrel from mc gowen in 338 lapua or 338 Norma. Or maybe 338 lapua imp. Do you guys see any issues with this other than changing bolt face? Not sure how it would feed. Anyone else try it?

Have you actually done any research on this? I don't think McGowan, or any prefit barrel manufacture offers 338lm. The general consensus is that the receiver isn't up to the task for such a large diameter cartridge(bigger the cartridge diameter the lesser the material to contain it). A couple savage expert gunsmiths have even speculated that factory savage Lapua chambered rifles use a receiver with different metallurgy.
I think you'll find that it's not going to be in your best interest to go Lapua. My recommendation would be to go 338 edge. McGowan offers prefits chambered in it, brass is cheaper, and nearly same ballistics as Lapua.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.