338 RUM vs Lapau

Bryce S

Hello all, this is my first post. So appreciate all the help.

I've been venturing out into long range hunting and shooting the past few years. Im wanting to find a 338 but not sure rum or lm. Been doing loads of research and I really like the Rum but I'm afraid of availability, online you can buy no problem but i was just at cabelas and a gun show and i found nothing for 338 rum at cabelas and only a few tables at the show, I've found that rum is cheaper though. Is the rum gaining or losing popularity? And why? Are 338 sales through the roof and no one has any left or are they declining and no one is restocking? They seem well matched, I've looked into other 338s but just really like these two. So i guess I'm just curious about the future of the 338 Rum and if anyone has any experience with it I'd love to hear it. Thank you!

I love the 338 rum and 338 lapua pretty much identical. I run the 338 RUM for my light weight back pack gun, and have shot many many 338 lapua's and edges. the 338 RUM brass is coming back with nosler and Bertram making it as well as Peterson and federal jumping on board. The 338 lapua using lapua brass is awesome though really is hard to beat for firings per case. either way your gonna love any of them

Thanks for the response. Good to hear. I've been afraid that if I go rum in 10 years it'd be obsolete. How's the recoil on the rum for a gun around 9lbs? I've heard some say it's not much worse than a 300wm and I've heard from others that it's a brute.

I like the .338 RUM. Don't have one currently, but it would do everything I would need a .338 to so. Lots of brass if you look. Doubt it's gonna die. As far as recoil, I have a .300 RUM that weighs about 8.5 pounds, no brake. Recoil is stiff, but not unmanageable for a hunting rifle if you aren't recoil shy. Gonna have a .338 one day, most likely the RUM. mtmuley

If well taken care of and never let it get hot, how many rounds would a barrel last for the 338 rum? Ive seen people say about 2500, is that accurate?

I have the RUM. It gives up nothing when comparing performance. Supplies have been up and down, if it's what you want buy enough brass to keep it fed.
If I was going to replace it today, I'd go with the Lapua. Specifically I'd use the Montana PH action. It's an appropriate size, and comes with a 4" magazine.

338 rum in a 8 pound hunting rifle is manageable but not for everyone. buy a couple hundred pieces of brass and let er buck you'll see great barrel life and accuracy for well over a 1500 rounds... my pack rifle is 8 pounds all up no brake and isn't a sit down and shoot all day type of rifle, it has recoil but it can be shot from bench, it also can be shot prone but watch the eye relief or it will bite the **** out of you ha ha ha. loaded with 225-250 gr accubonds its absolutely a hammer ,,, I've never seen any rifle literally drop elk and bigger bears in there tracks from any angle !!!!!

Another option is the 338 Norma.....same case head as the Lapua, same performance (300 grain pill @ 2750 fps) but at an OAL of 3.700" or less with a Berger 300 Elite Hunter, so no need for anything special on the action as far as OAL.

Thanks for the response. Good to hear. I've been afraid that if I go rum in 10 years it'd be obsolete. How's the recoil on the rum for a gun around 9lbs? I've heard some say it's not much worse than a 300wm and I've heard from others that it's a brute.

A good cartridge will never go away as long as shooters load for them.

The 338 RUM and the 338 Lapua are for all practical purposes ballistic equals if loaded to the same pressures. The RUM uses the standard magnum bolt face and can be chambered on almost any action. The Lapua however needs a larger action (In My Opinion) because of the larger bolt face requirements and the higher bolt thrust.

The recoil in the same weight rifle with the same weight bullets will be the same in both. ( I would recommend A "Good" muzzle for both) because with 250 and 300 grain bullets recoil can/will be brisk.

The 338 RUM or the 338 Lapua are great rounds/cartridges and will do anything that is needed of a 338.

Get what you want

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
.338 Edge. Uses the slightly longer .300RUM case over the .338 RUM case. I loaded for one using the 300SMK @ 2820fps.

I haven't started to reload yet, but i do buy from a buddy of mine in town and do very well with everything he's made for me so far. Does the rum do well with factory ammo, do you think box ammo will keep being made for it or just reloading supplies?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.