300 Rum Vs. 338 Lapua

Govcolt45

I was wondering when it comes to very log distance aplications how does the 300 remington ultra mag hold up to the 338 lapua. Everything i have read says the 338 is the best for long distance, but when the 300rum is close to the powder size of a 338, why cant it goe as far, they said the 338 is much better for long range aplications than the 300 win mag, but the 300 rum has 20% more powder so shouldent that help, i was just woundering why i dont hear more about the 300 rum, and if it could be used effectivly and acurately past 1000 yds like the 338, thanks

Govcolt45,

The differences between the two really come down to what bullets are used in each. I would say in real world situations, it would be very hard to tell a difference between the two of them ballistically at long range.

If we look at the long range bullets in each caliber, given similiar sectional densities and BC values, both rounds are nearly identical in ballistic performance.

Brass quality and strength certainly give the Lapua an advantage but in quality rifles and with quality ammo, not much of a difference to be honest.

Now as far as terminal performance, a 338 will generally hit with more athouraty then a 300 will. That said, there is very little that one will do that the other will not do.

Really comes down to caliber preference to be honest. And to that point, if you compare a 30-338 Lapua to a 300 RUM three is not enough difference to talk about.

Likewise, comparing a 338 Lapua to a 338 Edge(338-300 RUM), they are for all practical purposes, ballistic twins.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

45, you're close to spliting hairs here.a 300rum case will actually hold a couple more grains of powder than a lapua. the 33 cal is a more efficient burning cal and the bullets have the edge in BC.the biggest reason is a 250-300 gr bullet in 33 cal just flat out has some serious killing power,especially down range.a 300 rum is an excellent round well past 1k but doesn't quite have the ft lbs of the 33.the other unmeasurable item is the hitting power of a .338 dia bullet.the larger the dia of bullet, the harder it hits!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.