338 Lapau imp.

dkhunt14

I would like to know if anybody shot 250 Hornady match bullets in 338 Lapua improved? What powders and velocities? Also 300 sierra. The powder i was planning on using was H 1000. Thanks Matt

In my 338 Nawakwa (lapua imp) I use H-1000 and Retumbo I have also used R-25 with good resalts.
The 300g SMKs Velocity from 2950 to 3050 FPS depending on rifle.

Mine got mid to high 2900's fps with the 300 smk and 3200 fps with the 250 grain bullets. The 250 Hornady match was not out at that time but I shot it in other rifles and could not get acceptable accuracy from it. Back then my best accuracy loads were winchester WMR powder. It was discontinued. I also used H-1000 and Re-25 with good results. Retumbo was not out either at that time but I agree it would probably be one to try. Dave Tooley posted excellent results in 1000 yard competitions with the new Hornady 285 grain match bullet soon to be released.

The 338 Lapua improved is an excellent cartridge. There are many versions. I like the ones with the shoulder pushed forward slightly. Research and make sure you get a good improved version of the lapua. There can be some difference between them.

LTLR:

How do you fire form the cases if you push the shoulder forward? Is there some reason to push the shoulder forward other than a little more speed because it doesn't seem worth it to me for what, an extra 50fps?

I loaded some up in my dads 338 lazzeroni, they are crossing my ohler 35p at 3203fps with 103 grains of rl 25 in a 25.5 inch barrel. He shot a bull elk with them two weeks ago at 335 yards. He hit the near side front shoulder and it damaged alot of that side of the hole elk. The bullet did far more damage than I would have thought. When he hit it the elk stood straight up on its back legs and fell straghtover backwards. Alot of people like exit wounds on there animals, and that probably won't happen much with that bullet but atleast if the bullet doesn't leave the animal you know it used all of it's energy. The problem I had with them is I got 100 of them and there was a 6 grain variance in weight. They sent me out 100 more and they were just as bad but he won't be shooting past 400 yards so he won't care.

It's not a lapua improved but the bullet does seem to be very accurate.

Last edited:
Thanks dirtball. I knew you could go that route. But it still seems like a lot of trouble for minimal gain over straight AI version. But maybe I don't appreciate the whole story. :):)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.