Load advice for .338 Norma Mag Imp.

PPR

Hey guys,

This is the latest addition to the collection. Always wanted a big boomer and now I think I have one. LOL. Any load recipes would be greatly appreciated. Shooting the 300 gn. Berger. Considering H1000 or Retumbo. What say you. LOL.

Regards, Paul

You'll be about the same capacity as a 338 Edge so you'd be able to use starting loads for it. R-33 will give you the best velocity but H-1000 will usually give you the best ES and SD. I have a 30-338 Norma Imp and it's within a grain or two of a 300 RUM for capacity.

Hey guys,

This is the latest addition to the collection. Always wanted a big boomer and now I think I have one. LOL. Any load recipes would be greatly appreciated. Shooting the 300 gn. Berger. Considering H1000 or Retumbo. What say you. LOL.

Regards, Paul

You'll be about the same capacity as a 338 Edge so you'd be able to use starting loads for it. R-33 will give you the best velocity but H-1000 will usually give you the best ES and SD. I have a 30-338 Norma Imp and it's within a grain or two of a 300 RUM for capacity.

Thanks Idaho,

I just scored 8 lbs of H1000 so hopefully the gun likes it.:D

Regards, Paul

With H-1000 I'd start at 85grs and work up. The Edge's I've been around like 89-91grs typically. The velocity is usually between 2800fps and 2830fps where they get happy. R-33 will get you 3000fps with a decent barrel length. My R-33 load is 100grs in Bertram brass. The recoil goes up a bunch with R-33 though.

That is eye candy. I had a 32 inch LM 338 and used Retumbo and US869 with 300 smk's

I tried H870. This was when you could buy anything also reloader 33.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.