Looking for experience with .338 Norma imp versions

EXPRESS

After ordering a 28" 1:9.3 twist barrel which was intended to become a .338 Norma mag, I am having doubts.

Essentially if I can attain 2900fps with the 300 grain bullets in the Norma improved I will go with it, but I can't find enough reliable info on it.

Some guys have said they peaked at 2800fps (maybe with short barrels?), others have spoken of 3000fps with the Norma improved versions.

My other limiting factor is going to be powder, here in Italy, I can't get what you have in the US, and will basically be limited to Vihtavuori. Their double base lineup is suitable but I donìt know how it will compare to the powders you have available in terms of velocity goals.

I think I need to start a thread specifically on the powder question, because there is a lingering desire to do away with the repeater and go single shot, and chamber in the .338 Allen Xpress.

So folks, I'm looking to hear what people have achieved and if it has been a worthwhile venture to improve the Norma, which was supposed to alreaby be an "improved" case.

I would say the Norma isn't as improved as you are thinking more optimized for shooting the 300 grain bullets in a CIP length. It would be close if you could get the speed you want (with accuracy node) from improving the case and a 28" barrel. If you have to have 2900+ then I would look for a bigger case or longer barrel or both. My research tells me that a NM at 28" would get around 2800 - 2850 fps...mine isn't built yet to provide more info. 100 to 50 fps when you are shooting a freight train of a bullet won't matter.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.