245 Berger terminal performance. Looking for those with experience.

richhymas

Please only reply on the 245 Berger. I am familiar with bergers in general but I also know that different calibers and weights have different terminal results. I am really looking for the first hand experience of anyone who has killed a big game animal with a 30 caliber 245 grain Berger. I just haven't seen or heard much. I would love to hear of someone who hit an animal in the shoulder inside 200 yards as well as lung shots and shoulder shots beyond 600 yards. Hoping to put together a database of information for the 245 Berger.

I know this is an older thread but I thot I'd chime in...
After talking to Ty at Weaver Rifles I'm having a 300 Norma Improved built specifically with this bullet in mind. I bought 1000 and have them on the shelf and will have 12-16# N570 before the rifle arrives. He's sold on the combination and so am I.

I took an elk and 2 deer with 245 berger EOLs this year. The bullets worked like any other Berger, pinhole entry with grenade like effects once inside.

Thanks. I have since added a few rifles to the mix. I can't believe there is not more experience with these bullets after 2 years. My experience has been that they have been harder to tune than the 215 Berger and the 230 bergers. At some point with increased BC you fly too close to the sun and stability becomes more finicky and rifle dependent.

I will keep trying with the 300 PRC. I know people say you have to go bigger and faster to reap the benefits but I have always been willing to shoot a heavier bullets with high BC and slower muzzle velocity (2800 is ok with me) because I try to kill stuff inside 600 yards and never (yet) beyond 800. So I only need so much MV with a high BC bullet to have the desired terminal effect at 800 but I don't want the bullet so screaming fast thst if I hit heavy bone at 100 I get inadequate penetration.

I'm shooting them in a .300 Norma Improved at 3015 fps. They're shooting best for me seated to the lands. At 1302 yards they're shooting half moa in calm conditions. Shot a bull at an even 800 yards last Saturday Went through the chest and the offside shoulder with a few fragments coming to rest just inside the hide. Elk dropped dead in his tracks and never moved.

3 black bears killed with 245's and a 300 nmi at 2960fps. First kill at 100yds dropped the bear. Didn't bother much with dissecting it since it was almost dark and I was by myself. Second was at 576yds with trimmed meplats. Almost a fist size exit on the ribs and liquified internals. Third was at 200yds with trimmed meplats and almost had the reverse effect. Massive entrance wound and small exit wound. May go back to leaving the bullet along and not trimming.

I've noticed trimmed meplats for longer shots are explosive and violent since I've done the same at 500yds with a 300gr Berger on a bear. Mine are holding 1/2 moa to 1000yds and at this time don't have a reason to go back to Berger 215's for my hunting load.

3 black bears killed with 245's and a 300 nmi at 2960fps. First kill at 100yds dropped the bear. Didn't bother much with dissecting it since it was almost dark and I was by myself. Second was at 576yds with trimmed meplats. Almost a fist size exit on the ribs and liquified internals. Third was at 200yds with trimmed meplats and almost had the reverse effect. Massive entrance wound and small exit wound. May go back to leaving the bullet along and not trimming.

I've noticed trimmed meplats for longer shots are explosive and violent since I've done the same at 500yds with a 300gr Berger on a bear. Mine are holding 1/2 moa to 1000yds and at this time don't have a reason to go back to Berger 215's for my hunting load.
I have never trimmed the meplat. About how many thousandths does it shorten the OAL? I ask because when working up a hunting load my gun shot best with loads that were slightly longer than mag length and I am unwilling to single feed a rifle for hunting. Just too much that could go wrong if I find myself with a short range rapid acquisition opportunity with the possible need for a quick follow up shot before the animal disappears out of sight. Especially given the possibility of decreased penetration at short range (aka high impact velocity).

I have never trimmed the meplat. About how many thousandths does it shorten the OAL? I ask because when working up a hunting load my gun shot best with loads that were slightly longer than mag length and I am unwilling to single feed a rifle for hunting. Just too much that could go wrong if I find myself with a short range rapid acquisition opportunity with the possible need for a quick follow up shot before the animal disappears out of sight. Especially given the possibility of decreased penetration at short range (aka high impact velocity).
I trim .005-.007" off the tip, most of the uneven tips get straightened out with this. Then I chamfer the inside to make it nice and uniform and run a wire drill down the hole to make sure it's clear of any copper or lead.

I have not noticed any loss in accuracy doing this, but they say it could reduce BC slightly. Generally only noticeable if you're shooting way out there and not for hunting. They say around a 2% loss, but in turn could make your BC more consistent potentially by making the nose of the bullets consistent with each other. I come about it as strictly for hunting and an aid in letting that jacket come off and create a violent wound channel. Rifle shot a 4.3" five shot group at 976yds with the trimmed bullets so no hesitation to run them there.

Using a Wilson tool meplat trimming setup. All done by hand.

I have taken 2 Moose with 245's out of a 300 PRC @2850fps.

Very impressed with the Quick kills each time, distance was about 300 and 500 yards.

Recent Posts