Looking for personal experience with GMX performance on elk

I agree Mike. Shot placement is absolutely the number one key to a successful kill. And if placed correctly i think pretty much ANY projectile would do the job. I just want something that'll help me out if something goes awry and I encounter heavy bone. Things happen! Unfortunately
If heavy bone is likely to be an issue stick to a quality mono or bonded bullet built for the job.

With most bullets shot placement is key. Most simply are not made for breaking heavy bone and penetrating the body cavity fully after doing so.

With the mono's the best I've found for all purposes is the VLR4's and 5's from Peregrine along with the Hornady Interbond and Nosler Accubond.

The only problem I've seen so far with other mono's is a lack of consistency. I've had to track down quite a few lung shot deer hit with Barnes TSX and TTSX that failed to expand and the same with GMX's.

I have yet to see an Interbond or Accubond fail to expand except at extremely low velocity and when they failed to hit bone as well.

I just won't shoot standard cup and core bullets at game anymore period as they are far too unpredictable.

The quest for consistent terminal performance without massive meat damage typical with lead core bullets is how we became bullet manufactures. After testing with thousands of pounds of copper we found the alloy that does what we expect consistently. We found that there are two things that make for reliable terminal performance. We use an extremely soft copper alloy and large enough open hollow points to ensure reliable consistent terminal performance. We will not sacrifice terminal performance for any reason. A bullet must be accurate so it gets where it needs to be and once there it must do it's job. Anything less is not acceptable.

Steve

In the 150 gr I like the Nosler Accubonds and Barnes TTSX. but most of the bullets that have been flying around on this thread are suitable for elk. I do like the fact that you are putting bullet construction at the top of your list. Now you just have to find out what your rifle likes to eat. That may be the determining factor when it is all said and done.

I was experimenting with GMX. 200 yards POI is 6" higher than any other ammo I tried. It must shoot very flat to accomplish that. That's a hugh difference.