.270 Win 165 gr Matrix VLD...performance on Elk

Bad Company

Just want to share a recent experience:
I respectfully devastated this 675 lb 8 yr old 6x6 bull in his tracks Sunday night. The distance at 230 yards wasn't impressive but the performance of the .277 165 gr Matrix VLD sure was. There are concerns with bullet "blow up" at close range with frangible bullets BUT it is hard to argue with sectional density of .307. The bullet entered a little high, exploding a rib, liquifying the top portion of the lungs and erasing the spinal cord. The bullet cluster basically went off like a soft ball sized grenade inside the chest cavity...no formal exit wound except for several small fragments. I shoot these bullets because they expand great at low velocity/long range...from there they expand like a bonded bullet or copper bullet expands at high velocity...both of those products seem to pin hole at low velocity.

Rem 700 .270 Win
1:10 24" #5 Douglas Barrel
HS Stock, Timney Trigger
2840 FPS with H1000
Is stability as "perfect" as it could be with a 1:9 twist? I couldnt care less; I am getting a .310 G7 BC and less than .30 MOA at 850 yards. All from a 9 lb total rifle package that recoils like Obama punches.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 223
I respectfully devastated this 675 lb 8 yr old 6x6 bull in his tracks Sunday night.

That's the best line I've seen in a while, love it!! I could not agree more with how well the 165 does on elk, we've killed dozens of elk with them from 80 to over 900 yards there devastating!!
Congratulations on the bull :D

I just received some for my .270wsm. Can't wait to see how they perform on deer and pigs.
Nice bull. Maybe next year............

Whitebull, I have no doubt you will be impressed. However, I sometimes think the lower muzzle velocity of the .270 Win at 2840 helps minimize bullet fragmentation vs. a muzzle velocity around 3000. I am pushing the limit to achieve 2840. It would be nice to have a WSM to achieve similar or better velocity without pushing the pressure limit. Have fun!

I've ran the 165's out of a 270 WSM since they first came out, 26 inch barrel will run them comfortably at 3050 fps. Inside 500 yards few will exit an elk but you pour the vitals out of them, but don't blow up on the surface or anything the just expend all the energy inside the animal and I usually find frag under the hide on the of side. Killed a number of elk at 900+ and performance is spectacular, a couple inch raged wound channel through them with exit, through the lungs, shoulders, whatever it'll piles them!!

Deer it blows a 2-3 inch hole clean through at all ranges, have tried catching them in a deer but I have not been able to. At 200 yards they will completely destroy a deers heart, as in MIA!

Out of my .270 Win at 2840 fps at 900 ft elevation I get 1531 ft lbs at 600 yards and 1200 ft lbs at 800 yards.

In the high country at 9,000 ft, I get 1806 ft lbs at 600 yards and 1512 ft lbs at 800 yards.

BigNGreen's WSM velocities would hit harder.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.