165 gr VLD in .270 Winchester?

COBrad

Looking for a good bullet to reach the half-mile mark on Marmots this fall. The Matrix Ballistics bullet looks like my huckleberry. My rifle is a Cooper with a 10 twist barrel. Marshal, at Matrix, tells me this twist should work with this bullet, though a 9 twist is optional. Anyone have any experience with this bullet in this caliber? What kind of speed did you get?

As soon as I wrap up a couple of projects (2-3 weeks), I'm going to order some and start working up a load. I'd be very interested in exchanging load data.

thanks,
richard

It will be interesting to see how fast a 270 win will hump one of the 165's, it may be at that point where it's to heavy to take advantage of the BC due to low speed, a 140 -150 Berger VLD may be the ticket. My buddy has a herd of 270's and he has a couple 140 Berger loads to test and I'll give him a few of my 165's to get a feel for how they will do over the crony.

bigngreen, keep us posted on the speed you get with this bullet. According to my ballistic software I can reduce wind drift by 6" at 1K if I can get 2800fps, and 5" at 2700, over the load I am using. I am currently getting 2975 with SMK's and their .488 BC.

It will be interesting to see how fast a 270 win will hump one of the 165's, it may be at that point where it's to heavy to take advantage of the BC due to low speed, a 140 -150 Berger VLD may be the ticket. My buddy has a herd of 270's and he has a couple 140 Berger loads to test and I'll give him a few of my 165's to get a feel for how they will do over the crony.

You may be right. If nobody else is making 165's, there may be a reason.

I suppose the smaller bore will raise the pressure substantially. As such, I suppose the powder choice and barrel length would be critical.

This may be a great situation to model in Quick Load if someone has a full copy.

I'm in process developing load using 150 gr NBT, it has 0.496 BC and 0.279 SD, so far I'm getting 0.5 - 0.7 MOA groups using RL-17, I'm still stepping up load. Berger on the other hand in 150 gr offer better BC 0.531 but SD is a bit less 0.272. The 165 gr bullet would be interesting to work with, but availability is scarce.

I've looked at the Berger 150, but according to my ballistics software, there is little to be gained over the 135 gr SMK's I'm currently using. When I last emailed Matrix about availability of the 165's, two days ago, the guy said he had plenty on hand. Currently I'm getting ready to do load development with the 140 gr Accubond. I am hoping to come up with a load that will give me similar enough speed to use the same ballistics chart with both the SMK, .488 BC and this bullet with it's .496 BC. I am planning on getting a custom turret calibrated in yardage and think it would be great if it worked with both a varmint and elk load.

Just got off the phone with a tech at Hodgdon. He told me to use the data for the 160 gr Partition, and watch for pressure signs when approaching max. He said the Partition generates more pressure than a similar weight cup and core bullet so the data should be pretty good between the two bullets. I got an email from Alliant today saying the same thing. I have a few pounds of H1000 and RL22, so will start there, when I get to it.

Last edited:
Load up on 165 Matrix!!!! Ran a small ladder test today, 50gr to 55gr of 7828SC in a real nice 270 win with a 28in barrel 1-10 twist. Temp 78, Baro 24.43 and humidity at 20%. Shot at 100yrds and they ran in velocity from 2480 to 2855 fps. Accuracy was stunning, we had two groups one was about 1/4in and the other was 3/8ths with one pulled, not bad for all loads different weights. Not a real tight test as we just grabbed some brass and crammed bullets in it to see if we could make some velocity, needless to say we're loading up on 165 Matrix and some better brass, I'm thinking somewhere around the 2700-2750 may be the sweet spot :D

Last edited:
After see this thread I had to order some for my 270 win also. I have been wanting to get some for awhile but didn't know if it was a waste of time. I decided to go a different route with the powder seeing that RL-17 produced the better velocity with the 150 gr I got it to try. Alliant says it has a burn rate similar to 4350 and h4350 is also listed with the 160 NP. When I get the powder and bullets I will let you know how it goes. I also h4831 I will be trying.
Looking forward to everyone elses results.

Well, it was a fast test and we just seated them at where the die was set, honestly was only interested in velocity. They were seated to where just the boat tail was in the case body and not into the lands, they were just perfect so we just rocked on. I'll see if I can dig up another bullet and get what depth we seated them.

Curious how far off the lands. Both of my centerfire Coopers seem to prefer .005 off.

Hang on, .160 of the lands!! This is an older custom chambered rifle and obviously has a longgggg throat but it shoots everything very well but the 165 Matrix was tops that we've ever seen. I'm going to try to get a chamber casting as this chamber has performed very well and I'm now curious :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.