165 gr VLD in .270 Winchester?

OK so I have way to much time on my hands. That and I test my loads out of my garage and shoot out to a 1000yds just 5mins from my house. It's a rough life . So I started by testing the 165gn matrix at 1015yds. My exbal pda gave me up 26.00 moa for 4200ft elevation with 2760fps. I ended up going up 28.5 moa to get to the target. I had to put in a bc of .6 to get the right correction for this range. I then came in to 595yds using the same bc of .6 it was a first round hit. I then shot a three round group at 300 with the same bc of .6 grouping center height and off to the left because of the wind.

So my over all conclusion on these bullets is as follows.
The accuracy of these bullets is great. The bc is off by a ways for my velocity and rifle. In a 26in barrel the velocity of 2700+ can be achieved easily with the right powder. As for if they are worth the extra money and weight, I personally do not believe they are for me. I have found a more accurate combination of 150sst H4831 shooting 1/4" groups all day long. The velocity of these round are a little fast at 2880fps with lower pressures. And maybe the best the price for these bullets are much less allowing me to show more. I know the 150sst will do great at long range as I have shoot a lot with them. This is just my opinion and every person should see for themselves if these bullets are right for them.

Looking forward to other peoples findings.

I shot my first quick ladder with the 165's today.

The first 4x were 50.5gr h4831sc with CCI BR2's. One bore sighter, adjusted scope, then 3 in the same hole ~.25".

The rest were pairs from 51-54.5gr in half gr steps. All of the other pairs were under an inch.

53,53.5,54gr seemed to be a node with all 6 shots under .5" and single digit ES.

Velocity ran from [email protected] to [email protected]. And, I never really got any pressure signs. So, I might try for a little more velocity.

...nothing conclusive, but well worth going back to shoot some groups.

Also, this batch was .010" jammed and won't fit my magazine. I just wanted to look for an accuracy load first and then work on seating depth and/or magazine issues.

-- richard

I shot my first quick ladder with the 165's today.

The first 4x were 50.5gr h4831sc with CCI BR2's. One bore sighter, adjusted scope, then 3 in the same hole ~.25".

The rest were pairs from 51-54.5gr in half gr steps. All of the other pairs were under an inch.

53,53.5,54gr seemed to be a node with all 6 shots under .5" and single digit ES.

Velocity ran from [email protected] to [email protected]. And, I never really got any pressure signs. So, I might try for a little more velocity.

...nothing conclusive, but well worth going back to shoot some groups.

Also, this batch was .010" jammed and won't fit my magazine. I just wanted to look for an accuracy load first and then work on seating depth and/or magazine issues.

-- richard

What barrel length are you running? Our numbers we're very similar, with 7828 but a touch better ES. 50gr 2480fps and 54gr at 2725 fps. Accuracy was very similar!

can some one please post a picture of there load. I would love to see what a 165gr vld looks like in a 270. and the 175gr for that matter.

can some one please post a picture of there load. I would love to see what a 165gr vld looks like in a 270. and the 175gr for that matter.

Years ago I got these Wildcat .277 vld 169.5 grain I loaded them with 57.4 gr of H1000. I just called it good because I only had 100 of them and could never get anymore. It was not stressing the primers. I home moly coat.

The center bullet is a 150 speer BT

Attachments

• 170gr.jpg
    170gr.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 107
I still think these VLD's could give the 6.5-284 a run for it's money... 270 is an incredible caliber with not very many bullet choices...

I sold my .270. Have a custom build coming in 7mm Rem mag. I have a box of .270 165 Matrix. For sale if anyone wants them.
PM me if so.

I sold my .270. Have a custom build coming in 7mm Rem mag. I have a box of .270 165 Matrix. For sale if anyone wants them.
PM me if so.

That is really sad. Is it to late to change to 7STW? When a 7 mag is popping primers in an attemp to get more speed the 7stw is not stressing. Reloading books on the 7mag don't jive with real world chrono data. It is kind of like comparing a 30-06 to a 300 win mag

I've messed with enough hot rods to know that faster isn't always more accurate. Accuracy is #1. I have spoken with several smiths, and been told a few times that the 180 Berger seems to be most accurate at around 2800 fps.

All the more reason to get an STW. You can down load them to only go 2800 fps. You might be damaging the cases in a 7 mag to even get to 2800.........

I shot one of the biggest over bore rifles made the 30-378. I was not stupid and over max loaded it to get some speed record browny points. I worked and worked on consistancy which was often over 150 fPS slower........ Even my little 243 is about 100 fps slower that what it could do.

There are so many variables that I would not state that a certain bullet is most accurate when drivin at 2800 fps no matter what rifle it is shot from or what powder or how far from the lands.

I think the .270 with the 165's should be right in there with the 7 Rem. mag, and should be a great round. My .270 was an accurate Cooper Custom Classic with knock-out wood, and other upgrades. I just couldn't bring myself to rough it up hunting, and while it was shooting good out past 600 yards, it was not the right platform to go to 1K+. I am replacing it with a purpose built long range rifle and going with a proven and conventional long range round. If I wanted more than what the 7 Remmy will do, I would upgrade to one of the .338's.
I still have that box of 165 gr. Matrix VLD's. I paid $68 shipped. Make me a reasonable offer and their yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.