165 gr VLD in .270 Winchester?

I half way tested the 7 mm 190 matrix for bc. And it was within about 10 points of advertised bc. But all I did was zero at 200 yds then shot at 1150yds and confermed drop.

I half way tested the 7 mm 190 matrix for bc. And it was within about 10 points of advertised bc. But all I did was zero at 200 yds then shot at 1150yds and confermed drop.

What was your load and FPS for those 190's I might be way off base, but when I worked up some berger BC's it came to a point where a slower higher BC bullet the transition to subsonic at less distance. So it became unsuitable for actually trying for small groupes at 1000 yards.

I think the .270 with the 165's should be right in there with the 7 Rem. mag, and should be a great round. My .270 was an accurate Cooper Custom Classic with knock-out wood, and other upgrades. I just couldn't bring myself to rough it up hunting, and while it was shooting good out past 600 yards, it was not the right platform to go to 1K+. I am replacing it with a purpose built long range rifle and going with a proven and conventional long range round. If I wanted more than what the 7 Remmy will do, I would upgrade to one of the .338's.
I still have that box of 165 gr. Matrix VLD's. I paid $68 shipped. Make me a reasonable offer and their yours.

That I understand, I would treat it like my first born :D Perty much what I think, I go from 270 WSM to 388 RUM now, everything in between just is not enough step up.

after seeing this I want to order some for me Tikka T3 270win is a 22inc barrel long enough for the 165gr? I use the 150gr Berger VLDs and there grate getting them to 2824FPS with 52gr of ar2209.

after seeing this I want to order some for me Tikka T3 270win is a 22inc barrel long enough for the 165gr? I use the 150gr Berger VLDs and there grate getting them to 2824FPS with 52gr of ar2209.

Your barrel is a bit short to use the slow burn rate powders required to effectively shoot heavier than 150 grain bullets. The barrel twist also comes into play with heavy VLD bullets. I have a .250 throated 29 inch heavy target barrel.

These are home moly coated 150 and 169.5 grain vld's

170gr.jpg

Rifle012_zps1b9fc61d.jpg

Yep slow powders work well. Using a stiff load of Retumbo now. 60.7 grains. About 2890 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.