Matrix 165 gr bullet performed perfect

10point

My last thread was a question regarding effectiveness of the 165 gr matrix bullet in a 270 wsm. There was a good suggestion of shooting into 5 gallon bucket filled with sand. I did not have an opportunity for the bucket, but a late season cow elk answered the question. 220 yds nocked the elk down but not drt. A second bullet was required. It was my accuracy and not the bullet. If it was a different bullet the elk may have wandered off. N570 and 3065 ft/sec puts a lot of energy into the animal. I will use a different case. The Norma case is to soft for my custom barrel and ejecting the case was difficult for the second bullet. A lot O S----t was on my mind. Next time Winchester brass.

Excellent, the 165 gets their attention!! More details about the wound channel and such would be great, it's always nice to hear someone else using the same bullets and get their take on performance!!

The elk was taken to the processing plant that night, and I did not find a wound channel. I could find the entry but not an exit. Next time I will give the processing person an extra 20 to save the bullet and describe the wound channel. My first elk; I will get more info next time.

I have been reloading the 270WSM and 300WSM for over 10 years using Remington, Winchester, Federal and Norma brass. By far Norma is the best brass. I am still using the same Norma brass that I first bought over 10 years ago without the first stretched primer pocket or split neck. You will not improve by going to Winchester brass. Could it be the 3065 ft/sec with a 165 grain bullet is just too hot for any brass?

you are certainly correct that the load was hot. I was recently in Phoenix Arizona at the McMillan gun stock business. While viewing the factory and talking with salesperson he stated that McMillan precision rifles do not use Norma brass because it is too soft and the cases jam in the action. I also have used Norma brass repeatedly and have not experienced a problem, but the 165 grained matrix bullet was loaded hot because I wanted the additional knockdown power for the elk hunt. I am going to load the same amount of powder with Winchester brass, Nosler brass and Norma brass with the 165 gr Matrix and see what happens.

When I stated that Norma is the best brass I was speaking about WSM brass not the brass make for other rounds. I have used Norma brass for my 280 Rem and I have just purchased 20 pieces for my 270Winchester( only one available). This brass is different from the short mags brass. I have not loaded the 270 brass but I did take a look at it and I think it is more like the 280 than the WSM. That means that it is not as tough, it has a greater volume and it does not weigh as much as the Remington and Winchester that I am using to load my 270.

What I am saying is that all Norma brass is not created equal. The Short Mags brass is special and is very good, most other is as the salesperson said too soft.

If you load your 270WSM using Winchester or Remington brass the load may be different from the Norma load. Check the volume of the cases you may find as I did that the WSM Norma brass has less volume so it takes less powder to produce the velocity that you are looking for. So if you use the same amount of powder you will not get the same pressure or velocity.

Shortmag is right on with the brass, I use two kinda of brass for my 270 WSM and that is Norma and Remington, after trying them all these are the only two worth using IMO. I us the Remington for hammering out loads and for pushing pressure and velocity and varmint rounds, I use the Norma for precision long range shooting. I run the Matrix at 3060 fps in the Norma and 3043 in the Rem with the same load which is max in the Norma and a couple grains of max in the Rem cases.

The Norma is load and shoot brass and the neck tension stays very consistent, the Rem brass needs a little tune up and you have to stay on top of neck tension, Win brass just don't get it done!!

With the 165 Matrix and elk won't know the difference between 3065fps or 3000 fps, trust me!!!

I was out at the range and shout the remaining two bullets of 68 gr of N570 and 165 Matrix in my 270 WSM with Winchester brass. The temperature was 70 degrees in Tucson, AZ, and the brass ejected without a problem. I appreciated the information about the remingtion brass. I am currently working with 60 cases of Nosler and will compare it to the Winchester brass. Also looking at .001 thousand neck tension compared to .002 neck tension.

I wonder if you meant Nosler, not Norma. Nosler brass is soft I heard. Depending on who you spoke to at McMillan, they might of mispoke? It happens...

You are correct I was using Norma brass that would not eject properly. I loaded the same amount of powder in a Winchester without the ejection problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.