No more Matrix .277 165 gr.

WHITEBULL

Now that Marshal sold Matrix Ballistics, the new owner will not be making these. I had my barrel made around this bullet, I still have a few boxes, and I have some Berger 170gr, but also looking for something a little lighter.
Anyone out there making high BC pills in the 150-170 range?
The rifle has a PacNor.270 wsm 1-8" twist barrel, cut for a oal cartridge length @ 3.120".
Thanks.

That is a bummer. I've had a barrel on order from Krieger since Jan and was hoping to use the 165 Matrix.

We have a 156g designed for the 8" twist. It is 1.553" long and should perform great in your set up.

Steve

Posted this in another thread...

Did not know they are not going to make the 165 Matrix....

Shot the 170 Bergers from my Mausingfield, 270 Wby, standard chamber...28" Benchmark, 1-9...

Top right is 26RL @72gr...ave 3225fps, ES 13

Top left is 26rl @ 74gr ave 3318fps, ES16...

Lower right is RL26 71gr, ave 3192fps , ES 26

Shot today, all 5 shot groups....

Attachments

• Bergers.jpg
    Bergers.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 172
Now that Marshal sold Matrix Ballistics, the new owner will not be making these. I had my barrel made around this bullet, I still have a few boxes, and I have some Berger 170gr, but also looking for something a little lighter.
Anyone out there making high BC pills in the 150-170 range?
The rifle has a PacNor.270 wsm 1-8" twist barrel, cut for a oal cartridge length @ 3.120".
Thanks.
Cross your fingers and hope but I heard a dirty rumor that there might just be an ELD-X in .277 in the next year or so. With the popularity of the .270 its a pretty sure thing it won't be long.

Cross your fingers and hope but I heard a dirty rumor that there might just be an ELD-X in .277 in the next year or so. With the popularity of the .270 its a pretty sure thing it won't be long.

When I saw that the .277 was not included in the ELD-X lineup, I thought that Hornady missed a huge sales opportunity. But, one of the biggest issues is with the rifle manufacturer's standard 1-10" twist. Anything heavier than a 150gr will require a faster twist.

It will be interesting to see if they do as most all of the factory 270 chamberings are 1-10" twist. This does not lend to very long bullets. If they do it will more than likely be a marginally stable bullet.

I couldn't sleep a few days ago so I did what any normal guy would do and started checking various bullets on a twist calculator. I was amazed at how many bullets are marketed very marginal in stability. 1.2-1.3 sg, even found some lower.

It is just like fishing lures. The first fish they have to catch is the fisherman.

Steve

Nothing hornady will make will even compare to the Matrix, an eld would be a significant down grade in performance from the Matrix, the only thing really out there is the Berger 170 in the weight and BC class were looking for.

Nothing hornady will make will even compare to the Matrix, an eld would be a significant down grade in performance from the Matrix, the only thing really out there is the Berger 170 in the weight and BC class were looking for.

I purchased a box of the Hammer Hunter 156 gr. They are pretty long, 1.552". We'll see if my gun likes them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts