338 norma Mag

dirtboy

I seen some info on sniperhide about a 338 norma mag. Its competes with lapua. It seem like a great round. Shorter, accurate, and fit in standard long actions

Anyone have this or has seen one of these??

I am still playing with mine, but it easy to make it work with 300 gr slug. So far brass has been good. The only down side I found is there is a lot less data out for it, but quick load helps with loading data.
Jrigby

Great caliber. 300gr SMK @ 2750fps out of a 26" barrel. Excellent brass life, as good as Lapua brass, I guarantee it. Also fits in a standard magbox.
What's not to like about that!

I continue to consider it as my next rifle (my 277AM has the Lapua bolt face). My only concern continues to be the availability of their brass. It is hard - and sometimes - impossible to find. To my mind, if Norma wants to promote this new round, they need to do a much better job of getting their brass out there to the public. 338 Lapua brass is usually in stock at no less than 10 retailers on the internet. 338 Norma only has 3-4 souces that I have been able to find - and they are almost always out of stock. Even gunsmiths that have the reamer will only part with a 100 pieces of 338 Norma to get you started. All this tells me that supply is not caught up with demand yet. Although I would like to try this new round, I will take a wait and see approach. If things don't improve drastically in terms a brass availability, I will go with the 338 Lapua.

Midway has 500 and 100 count boxes that are showing available. I'm really considering the 338 Norma for a build also so getting components is key, hate to build it and not shoot it!

In short yes. You will definitely need a different bolt or maybe just the bolt head opened up. Not to sure with the Remmy's. Obviosly a barrel in that caliber. The action is definitely going to fit the dimensions of the Norma mag.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.