338 pills?

Are these the ones you are after? 250 grain Hornady HPBT Match next to a Sierra 300 grain SMK.
mypic6.jpg

And yes Wild Bill I shot it in the shoulder just to see what it would do. I won't be doing that again as you get instant mince.

Those are the ones! Where did you get them?! What have you found their b.c. at?

Hello goodgrouper

I got then from Hornsley park gun shop right here in Australia. We get preference in Australia on all Hornady bullets as Australians do a lot more shooting than is done in the U.S. :D LOL.

Dont know where you could get them in the U.S.

The B.C. is listed at .67 by Hornady but down here the bullets fly upside down so the B.C. would be much higher!!! :D:D:D LOL, LOL, LOL.

Seriously I can't wait to try them on game. I have a hunt planned after Easter and another one next month so I should get a chance to try them out then.

Went for a hunt on Easter Monday and shot a big Sambar Hind about 350lb with one of the .338cal 250 grain Hornady BTHP Match projectiles.

One shot instant kill.

Deer was shot through the neck, front on, smashed the vertibre and what was left of the bullet lodged in the top of the offside shoulder.

Bullet found totally expanded with all lead missing from one large expanded copper jacket. Very good expansion. This bullet looks to be a winner for long range hunting.

Will post photo's in a new thread when I down load them soon.

are they as accurate as the SMK's or Bergers?

I don't know about .338 cal Berger bullets, I don't think they are available yet. The 300 grain SMK shoots accurate in my .338 and the 250 grain Hornady BTHP Match shoots just as well.

It also seems to kill OK. Here is a 250 after it was pulled out of a 350lb Sambar deer shot over Easter.

mypic16.jpg

I tried the new hornady 250 hpbt match with the high BC last fall when they first came out. I probably had some of the first ones I guess. The BC is as published or right at it. Problem is they are the worst shooting bullets I have ever tested and I have some very good rifles. I have always had great success with hornady bullets but these are bad. If you want to try some I will sell them cheap. The 225 interbond and sst are excellent hunting bullets, very accurate and shoot better than the published BC. I have the data but have not calculated the exact BC yet. I use two chrono's. One at a few feet and one at the target at different ranges. From the velocity at two known distances added with the other variables and you can get the exact BC. I don't know how others do it but this works well for me.

I tried the new hornady 250 hpbt match with the high BC last fall when they first came out. I probably had some of the first ones I guess. The BC is as published or right at it. Problem is they are the worst shooting bullets I have ever tested and I have some very good rifles. I have always had great success with hornady bullets but these are bad. If you want to try some I will sell them cheap. The 225 interbond and sst are excellent hunting bullets, very accurate and shoot better than the published BC. I have the data but have not calculated the exact BC yet. I use two chrono's. One at a few feet and one at the target at different ranges. From the velocity at two known distances added with the other variables and you can get the exact BC. I don't know how others do it but this works well for me.

You mind sharing your data (or your calculated BC)?

I'm working up an Elk load for the fall - started with NABs and HIBs. My original plan was to use the NABs (isn't anything made by Nosler the best :D, and the published BC is much higher), but the HIBs seem to shoot a little better in my gun, and I got a whole bunch of them on sale - which made the cost about 1/2 of the NABs. The final nail in the coffin is that I can't find .338 225gn NABs for sale (out of stock) anywhere - so I'm switching.

I will soon have some chrono data to share as well. I have some drop at 300yds info which I'll dig up and post.

You show me yours, I'll show you mine :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dug up my targets and chrono data - ran it all through Loadbase. Very surprising!

Input data listed below, but the net is to get the drop numbers to match, I had to back the BC all the way down to 0.33. The advertised BC is 0.43. I will do more verification of this (including down range velocity measurements). Anyone else seeing this?

Here's my input data. Please verify if you have software (to make sure I'm running it right):

MV 2890 (measured with chrono)
Drop @ 300yds: 10.75"
ZH: 0.8" (measured from 100yd target)
Bullet Weight: 225gn

If you care, atmospheric numbers:
Station Pressure: 28.78
Temp: 66
RH 44%

Midway has them. I just got 100 of them and they look like a mini 300 gr smk should be fun to try in Daves edge and my lazz.

Dug up my targets and chrono data - ran it all through Loadbase. Very surprising!

Input data listed below, but the net is to get the drop numbers to match, I had to back the BC all the way down to 0.33. The advertised BC is 0.43. I will do more verification of this (including down range velocity measurements). Anyone else seeing this?

Here's my input data. Please verify if you have software (to make sure I'm running it right):

MV 2890 (measured with chrono)
Drop @ 300yds: 10.75"
ZH: 0.8" (measured from 100yd target)
Bullet Weight: 225gn

If you care, atmospheric numbers:
Station Pressure: 28.78
Temp: 66
RH 44%

Your numbers sound about right but I think you need more data.
The differance between a B.C. of .43 and .33 only makes about .75" at that range given your data. This small amount of differance could be due to shooting or Chronograph errors.

If you try that load at a much longer range, it will give you a far better idea of the true B.C. of the projectile.

Many of the Interbonds are very underrated. I would put money on the 225 IB beating the 225 AB if measured in the same conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.