338 Edge vs 338 Lapua AI with 300 grain pills.

Wachsmann

So for anyone that is in the know which case is going to provide more horsepower out the gate with barrel length being equal and which one will give you better case life? Thanks for the info.

So for anyone that is in the know which case is going to provide more horsepower out the gate with barrel length being equal and which one will give you better case life? Thanks for the info.

I do not have first hand experience, but from what I have read, the .338 LAI will give better performance easier, so with less pressure, and in using Lapua brass, cases will last a long time. Also, the Lapua is a shorter case, so will be easier to make work as a repeater. The .338 Edge's, especially the +P chamberings, I believe run around 4.100" OAL, where you should be able to get away with an OAL under 4" with the LAI, which can run as a repeater with a Wyatts long mag box. ADG is now making brass that can be used in the .338 edge though, so a good brass option is available for them as well.

For me, if I was buying/building a custom anyway, I would do the .338 LAI, and just get a .338 sized action such as the Stiller TAC 338 or Lone Peak Razor .338. If I had a Remington 700 long action or standard sized clone that I wanted to build off of, I would do the Edge. They should both do 2900 fps+ with the 300 grain pills.

I like your question. Running some numbers through Quik-Loads, here are some comparisons:

26" barrels on both; 65000 psi on both (That was the default for the 338 Excalibur); 3.750" COAL for both (Again, the Excalibur default)

-Excalibur Retumbo at 100.9% full (103. grains) 2748 fps

-Edge Retumbo at 107.6% full (93.0 grains) 2730 fps
(Side note, I don't know if you could shove that much powder in a case)

-Edge H-1000 at 105% full (89.0 grains) 2691 fps

-338 Norma Imp.; 3.675 COAL; 65000 psi, 26" barrel

Retumbo at 102.1% full (102 grains) 2780 fps!

Just a thought, it appears the Norma Improved is the fastest, and shortest, when loaded to the same pressures. Also, Lapua is making Norma brass now, or I'm running Bertram and am really liking it so far. Don't even waste your money on the Norma brand brass, if you are even thinking about any amount of pressure. It is ridiculously soft.

On actions, I have built two 338 Normas on Remington 700 Actions now. Seem to be fine. I did have both of them Nitrided along with the bolts. If I had it to do over again, I would use a "cone nosed bolt" from PTG (slightly longer bolt lugs), with the dual ejectors and wouldn't worry about it in the least. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

Also, don't know how far you are shooting but the Hornady 285 ELD-M will get you quite a bit more velocity (+150-200 fps) with only slightly less wind drift, that is what I have switched to.

Good Luck, whatever you do.

I agree with Cody. If you have a Remington magnum bolt face go with the edge. If your buying an action 338 Lapua AI. I don't believe you would be giving up too much either way.

The Lapua as a repeater is pretty hard to do shooting 300 grain bullets and trying to seat them long. I know using a Defiance action on my 338 Lapua I am limited. The action had three magazine lengths available and the largest of the three, that magazine setup was no longer available. Although I have a BDL setup, I shoot it as a single shot.

When and if I ever shoot my barrel out, I would probably do an AI version.

I agree with Cody. If you have a Remington magnum bolt face go with the edge. If your buying an action 338 Lapua AI. I don't believe you would be giving up too much either way.

The Lapua as a repeater is pretty hard to do shooting 300 grain bullets and trying to seat them long. I know using a Defiance action on my 338 Lapua I am limited. The action had three magazine lengths available and the largest of the three, that magazine setup was no longer available. Although I have a BDL setup, I shoot it as a single shot.

When and if I ever shoot my barrel out, I would probably do an AI version.

I've built a couple of 338 standard edge rifles and I couldn't be happier! At present I have a Stiller predator action, 28 inch Bartlein barrel, I'm shooting 300 grn OTM's with 108grn's of RL33 powder in Remington brass and getting 3010 ft./s

Tom

To compare with Bosco, my 338 Lapua (30"/1-9) shooting 91 grains of H1000 and a 300 grain Berger Elite Hunter, I'm at 2842 fps.

It is said, the AI can get you 100-150 fps more over the non-AI version.

Wow 3010 fps is cookin. My 300 RUM is shot out and I'm going with a Edge this winter. I have some 285's and 300 gr bergers to try out. If I can get close to that speed I'd be very happy.

Some good points, the only thing I will add is you can run a 338 edge imp mag fed on a REM 700. I had a 4.00 wyatts mag box and ran 300 SMKs at 2950 with a COAL of 3.960". Although when I switched to the bergers I went 4.100" single feeding but probably could have got 2900+ mag feeding. Although if starting from scratch, 338 Lap AI all the way. The only way the edge makes sense is if you have a trued Rem 700 that's ready to go. By the time you blueprint a 700 and add a mag box you will have around $1100 in it when you could get a nice custom action for $1400.

To compare with Bosco, my 338 Lapua (30"/1-9) shooting 91 grains of H1000 and a 300 grain Berger Elite Hunter, I'm at 2842 fps.

It is said, the AI can get you 100-150 fps more over the non-AI version.
The best I was able to get with H1000 was 2800fps and I was hammering my brass.. RL33 all the way!

Tom

If you are stuck with a standard mag bolt face then you are stuck with an edge. If you can go custom action then you have the opportunity to run the Lapua improved.

I already have a 300 RUM that I run 220 ELDX out of. I was just thinking about something down the road, with brass for the 300 RUM in limited supply (but its getting better); I was looking at the Lapua with the ability to buy brass very easy. I know there are 2 brass suppliers for the 338 edge also but I can go to my local sports store and pick up the Lapua 338 brass every time I go in. It sounds like it is hard to run the 300 gainers as a repeater. So that is something to think about as well, so bullet choice might be the 285ELD.. The gun would server a dual purpose hunting/target shooting outfit. Something that I could pack in but shoot from a vantage point. Basically what I do with my 300 right now. Its a Remington Sendero . I was surprised to see that the Norma could produce that much velocity with a 300 grain bullet from tho post from quick loads. I have never seen 338 Norma brass on any of the stores I frequently go into. I dont think this would be a good choice for me. I do like the ability to go in and buy off the shelf for what I need when it comes to supplies. Thanks for the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.