338 Allen Xpress vs 338 Lapua Improved/AI...

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Despotes, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Despotes

Despotes Well-Known Member

I want to have my 30-378 Weatherby rebarreled to 338 AX, but can't find anyone with a reamer to do it. Does the 338 Lapua AI use the same reamer as the 338 AX? Lapua Improved vs Ackley Improved?
    I found a smith that has reamers for the AI and the [FONT=arial, verdana][FONT=arial, verdana]338 lapua improved 40 degree, I just don't know the differences between the 3.

I'm pretty sure Kirby only does complete builds so it seems unlikely I can get anybody to chamber a barrel for me in 338 AX unless someone here knows somebody.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Despotes

It would appear Hart can do a barrel chambered for "338 Lapua Ackley". I assume that's the same as an Ackley Improved.
    Factory 338 Lapua, if in a pinch, can be shot through the Lapua Ackley without problems yes? (The cases do have to be fireformed)
    Anybody have any load data for this round?

3. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Well-Known Member

Go buy your own reamer so you do not run into this next time.

Dave Kiff at PTG has several reamers. I went with his recommendation on the "338 AI Speedy" reamer and loved it.

4. Despotes

5. Despotes

Couldn't find the "338 AI Speedy" reamer. Everything but.
    Would it be easier if I simply have the barrel made and later take it to a recommended smith to be chambered, threaded, installed and have matching dies? Do you recommend someone who can do this? Too bad Kirby only does complete rifles now.

6. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Send Kirby an email. He will tell you what to do.

Steve

7. Despotes

I shot Kirby an email.
    I've been trying to resist placing an order for the Raptor LRSS in 338AE. hehe

8. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Well-Known Member

9. Despotes

I'm considering the 338-378 to avoid all the hassle. Has anybody approached 3000fps with the 300gr or the 285gr A-Max and a 30" barrel w/o loose primer pockets? If Norma only had the quality brass Lapua has.
    Is the belt really a problem with Weatherby brass?

10. Despotes

Which type of reamer would I need? Just a Finisher or would I also need a Rougher?

11. Despotes

I'm about to order the reamer. It looks like Bartlein 5R barrel and possibly have Accurate Ordnance do the install work. Are they a decent quality shop or should I let Bartlein do the install work as well?

12. stonehands1

stonehands1 Well-Known Member

Personally I would have the barrel maker do the install if possible and feasible.

13. Despotes

It turns out Bartlein is doing it all. Reamer and Terminator T3 are ordered.

14. stonehands1

stonehands1 Well-Known Member

Excellent