.338 Lupua

Good morning,
I have a custom.338 Lapua. 30 inch Keriger barrel, Holland muzzle brake, Remington long action blueprinted. It has a Tim. Trigger and finished off with a Valdada scope.
Issue: I can't get the thing to group with a darn. I'm currently using R33. The Nosler is 300 grain Accubonds. The Berger is 300 grain elite hunters. Any expertise with this caliber would be awesome. Lapua brass and Federal match mag primers.
View attachment 398350View attachment 398351View attachment 398352View attachment 398353
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have two Lapuas; one is a straight factory Savage and the other is a Stiller/McM/Brux custom. Both love 88 gr Retumbo under either a 300 Berger or a 285 ELD. The Savage load is now 91 grn of 8133; I know it is discontinued, but I have plenty right now and can always switch back.

The biggest thing I have found with any load is OAL. I know there are supporters of ladder tests, but IMO distance to the lands trumps charge. My Savage is relatively indifferent, but the custom Lapua likes them seated way out.

I would also add my Savage suddenly started grouping poorly. I wiggled the scope, and viola - the base screws were loose. My Stiller is pinned. I have had this happen more than once with hard kicking rifles.

As for groups somehow shrinking at 200, haven't we beat that dead horse/myth to death?

I have two Lapuas; one is a straight factory Savage and the other is a Stiller/McM/Brux custom. Both love 88 gr Retumbo under either a 300 Berger or a 285 ELD. The Savage load is now 91 grn of 8133; I know it is discontinued, but I have plenty right now and can always switch back.

The biggest thing I have found with any load is OAL. I know there are supporters of ladder tests, but IMO distance to the lands trumps charge. My Savage is relatively indifferent, but the custom Lapua likes them seated way out.

I would also add my Savage suddenly started grouping poorly. I wiggled the scope, and viola - the base screws were loose. My Stiller is pinned. I have had this happen more than once with hard kicking rifles.

As for groups somehow shrinking at 200, haven't we beat that dead horse/myth to death?
How. Close to the lands on your custom?

With N570 have you all noticed big changes in velocity from one lot to another lot?

Hven't changed lots with this one yet.

7RM and 300 ultra have shown less velocity with the most recent batch.

I have also read on here that N570 degrades (velocity) the longer it is left in the keg after opening. Any one else notice this? Either that is what is going on with a few of these loads or it was just a slower lot.

With N570 have you all noticed big changes in velocity from one lot to another lot?

Hven't changed lots with this one yet.

7RM and 300 ultra have shown less velocity with the most recent batch.

I have also read on here that N570 degrades (velocity) the longer it is left in the keg after opening. Any one else notice this? Either that is what is going on with a few of these loads or it was just a slower lot.
I use N570 in one of my RUMs. Have not noticed any issues other than the kernels are the size of a cruise ship. Worked pretty good last Wednesday - shot it at 799 yards. Wind was blowing toward me slightly favoring to the left. Held right edge of my 2.5 inch circle:

Attachments

• 799.jpg
    799.jpg
    697 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
My Load: 300 Berger Elite Hunter, 91gr H1000, Lapua Brass, Fed215M Primers = 2851 FPS.

Depending on your chambering, you should find a load somewhere between 90-92 grains. I'd start around 88-89 and go up until you hit pressure. For me, my accuracy was found at .015 off, which for me is 2.989" BTO.