338 LRH gun questions

montana_native

Looking for some ideas for a 338 caliber build. I think I am leaning toward the RUM, mostly because it's a factory chambering and reloading should, in theory, be simpler. This gun will be built on a Savage 110 action that will not use the barrel nut.
I have two questions:
1. What barrel length and twist would maximize performance with 250-300 gr bullets?
2. What are other available bullets for the 338 (besides the 250 and 300 gr SMK's) that are suitable for long range shooting?
I guess my goal is to try and approach the performance of the Lapua and the Edge with a more common cartridge.
Thanks for any insight.

1. What barrel length and twist would maximize performance with 250-300 gr bullets?

I think most people would agree 28-30" in a 1 in 10" twist (you could go with a little faster twist with no problems).

2. What are other available bullets for the 338 (besides the 250 and 300 gr SMK's) that are suitable for long range shooting?

Quite a few, look more at the Nosler Accubond line of bullets. If it were me I wouldn't even look at a bullet that had a BC lower than the AB's. However I am certain the SMK's will do the job.

I guess my goal is to try and approach the performance of the Lapua and the Edge with a more common cartridge.
Thanks for any insight

If you don't hand load all of the cartridges you listed are bound to get pricey. Performance comes at a cost. I've paid good money for 100 fps before, was it worth it? In my eyes it was.

I'll agree with MagMan on everything.

I shoot the Accubonds in my 338 RUM. I've only shot the 225's so far but will try the 250's soon.

I'm also looking forward to the 338 Berger that will be coming eventually.

Why are you going nutless on the Savage?

you just can't go wrong with a 10 twist. as mentioned Berger's supposed to be coming out soon as well as Hornady with an A-max in 338. that 250 gr Accubond is one great bullet, hard to beat for hunting.

I have been involved in 2 .338 RUM rifles this fall, both are 700 actions, both have Rock Creek 9.4 twist tubes. Mine has yet to harvest anything as I leave for Wy this Friday, the other is finished at 27-1/4" and has harvested a respectable bull elk at 768 yds and a cow elk at 1013 yds. The bullet of choice is the 300 grain SMK. One from the bull was found just under the hide of the off side shoulder. I do not have that bullet but plan on seeing it and taking a picture of it. Mine and the other owner of these guns are VERY happy with the choice of cartridges. Good luck, Ron Tilley

I have been involved in 2 .338 RUM rifles this fall, both are 700 actions, both have Rock Creek 9.4 twist tubes. Mine has yet to harvest anything as I leave for Wy this Friday, the other is finished at 27-1/4" and has harvested a respectable bull elk at 768 yds and a cow elk at 1013 yds. The bullet of choice is the 300 grain SMK. One from the bull was found just under the hide of the off side shoulder. I do not have that bullet but plan on seeing it and taking a picture of it. Mine and the other owner of these guns are VERY happy with the choice of cartridges. Good luck, Ron Tilley

Did you test velocity at all?

Thanks.

Take a look at the .275 grn. Swifts. According to the owner or Swift bullets he designed this bullet for the .338 RUM in mind.

gun)

Forrest, while I believe the A-Frame to be a great bullet for its intended purpose it really isn't considered a long range bullet. Its lackluster ballistic coefficient is that of a Manatee.

I'm shooting a factory 24" sporter barreled Rem 700 in 338 RUM.

Best shooting bullets in it are the 300 SMK @ 2730 MV and 225 NAB @ 3240 MV.

I've found that US-869 produces minimal ES w/the 300 SMK.

IMR-7828ssc give great velocity and accuracy w/the 225 NAB.

The chamber in this factory chamber seems to be quite large. Either that or the resizing die was a bit under sized. Ground the die to be closer to the chamber size.

Do the drop/energy numbers w/the 225 NAB and you'll see that it is quite reasonable, to say the least, at 1K and beyond.

Also, good thinkin on the nutless savage installation. It's the only way the better smiths will do it. Much more secure. That is, ya don't wanna split yur nut;)

Hopefully this will provide a decent data point for your barrel length consideration. I'd consider at least 27" for a carry gun and longer heavier for a dedicated hide rifle.

Did you test velocity at all?

Thanks.

montana native, I tried H1000,Retumbo,MagPro and RE25, for me in both of these rifles, the RE25 performed better. I do not recall and I could go look at my book, but I seem to remember Retumbo giving a little more velocity but did not shoot as well.

In my gun with the 28" barrel, I get 2800fps, give or take a couple.

in the gun with the 27 1/4" barrel it gets 2785fps. hope that helps. Ron Tilley

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.