Savage .338 Lapua LRH

ShootnMathews

I've been thinking of getting one of these. Can any of you tell me how they do for accuracy?

Also what can I expect in the way of $ on brass and bullets.

Any other pertinent information would be appreciated. - quality of the gun - any recommended changes- recommended brass or loads.

Thanks

I had one. It was very accurate .4 moa tested @ 200 . I had problems with stuck cases. Used Lapua brass and full length resized. Loads were not hot, 94.5 grains of h-1000 behind 250 grain accubond. Mine was one of the first guns produced and I believe it had a tight chamber. Also the mounting base had came loose in early load development. I don't want to bash the model or brand, hoping it was an issue that was addressed and changed by savage. In doing some research I fond I was not the only person who had these issues. I have a 112 bvss in 25-06 and it is probably my most accurate gun so nothing wrong with a savage. Not trying to stear you away, just giving my experience.

I think the biggest difference is that the FCP version comes with a HS Precision stock. This is definitely an upgrade from the standard Accustock that comes on the LRH version. Plus the FCP has a bigger/better bolt handle. The FCP weighs a little on 1 lb. more than the LRH. 10.7 lbs. vs 9.25 lbs. The extra weight might be a good thing with the mighty 338 Lapua.

Also, trigger pull is probably lighter on the FCP. I think it is 1.5 lb. where the LRH may just go down to 2.5 lb. Don't quote me on that one though.

The FCP version is about three bills more though.

The 111 LRH is the ugliest gun I own. You need to torque the action screws down to at least 65 inch pounds or you will get vertical stringing. Check the accustock to see that all the overmolding is off the aluminum so the action contacts just the aluminum. Bed the recoil lug area a bit. Dremel out the end of the stock that pushes up on the barrel so the barrel is freefloated. Buy an oversized bolt handle cheap on FleBay. Replace the base. Mine had lugs rip off when I shot it... Loctite down the new base. Cut out the front top of the cheek rest so you don't have to lower it each time you take out the bolt. Buy shorter bolts for the cheek rest so they don't stick out. Borescope the chamber to see if it is cut straight. Then you will see the "ladder" appearance in the barrel that copper fouls quicker. Will need to clean more for copper fouling. Hand lapping the barrel will help. You WILL need to polish the chamber that is rough causing brass to stick. Put the soft part of some velcro on the magazine were it contacts the bottom metal so it doesn't rattle. Action is not the smoothest and the length may take some getting used to. It will shoot if you work with it. Worth 1K in my opinion. Very easy shooting gun just don't look at it.

You will need to full length resize the brass bumping shoulder back .002 or so.
Loads for mag length - 300 SMK. 90.0 grains H1000. 89.8 grains Retumbo.
Loads for mag length - 300 Berger. 96.0 grains RL 33. 97 grains of RL 33 filled the case at mag length with the bergers.

Use Lapua brass. Can find for 2.50 a piece.
You will reload the Lapua brass 15 to 25 times depending on load and bumping.

I have shot under 0.3 moa groups at 850 and 0.5 moa out to 1500 with it. My berger load shoots one hole at 100.

If you find a take off FCP barrel it will go right on the 111. You will need to "inlet" the stock. Then the suppressor you put on wont make the barrel sag to the ground...

I think the FCP and LRH are different actions. I'm pretty sure you can't buy a LRH and slap it into a HS Precision stock if you want to.

Thanks guys. Now that is all some good useful info. So it sounds like the better one is worth the $300 extra? It will be a little while before I pick one up. Just trying to research some so I don't regret the purchase later. What scope base would you recommend? Like a Murphy precision? I have one of those on my 111 LRH 6.5-284. Very high quality base. That gun is why I was considering the LRH 338. My 6.5 is EXTREMELY accurate.

I've never had a Murphy base. I own Ferrall's, Weaver's, and EGW's no issue with any of them. I also have not owned a .338 Lapua, but have had numerous .300 Rum's and a .300 Lapua. I'm interested in a .338 Lapua FCP. How hard is it to find one? I've also been eyeing the Edge. gun)

Thanks guys. Now that is all some good useful info. So it sounds like the better one is worth the $300 extra? It will be a little while before I pick one up. Just trying to research some so I don't regret the purchase later. What scope base would you recommend? Like a Murphy precision? I have one of those on my 111 LRH 6.5-284. Very high quality base. That gun is why I was considering the LRH 338. My 6.5 is EXTREMELY accurate.

I have a NF 2OMOA base on my 110FCP and a NXS 5.5X22 NPR-1
I get 1/2 MOA or less with Berger 300gr OTM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.