338 savage lrh

snox801

So I got my 338 savage lrh from cabelas with my points. My goal was to put the same stock on it that I'm having Kirby put on my 338 AM to get the feel. Also cause everyone wants to shoot a 338 and it won't be my AM. So well waiting for my xlr stock I bolted on scope and sent 22 rounds of Hornady factory ammo through it. So after taking it apart to put on the new stock I noticed the rail was loose and actually damaged it. I already ordered a 30moa rail and better rings so no biggie, but when I contacted savage about this I was blown off. First I told him normally I redo all bolts with locktite that was supplied in my scope mount kit. I was informed that savage does not recommend this. So after that he told me it was the buyers job to check all parts for tightness. I do agree but 22 shots sounds like quality control problem. He then told me that well shipping these come loose. I jokingly asked if every time I go hunting should I remove my scope and re sight in every time I drive to a hunt was meet with a scoff. I do shoot and check zero but the way he was talking made it sound like that's what you should do. he offered to pay for shipping it back and possibly fix it but I told him I didn't want to wait for a maybe and just ordered a new rail. So what are your thoughts on this. Also your thoughts on locktight for screws. Just wanted to share and see what everyone thought (mainly for some chatter).

I always blue loktite mine. They probably don't recommend it because they think you might damage it trying to get the screws out next time. With a rifle as powerful as the 338 lapua, you gotta do something or it's gonna come loose eventually.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.