338 lapua

longbomb

Hi everyone,
I want to start building my first custom rifle in 338 lapua but dont know where to start. Where do I get the action from? I was looking at a 30"Lilja fluted 1.25" dia. barrel and jewell trigger but other than that im lost. any advice on stocks,actions,barrels,anything would be awsome. thanks

Two options

1. I would pick the smith first. Let him guide you on components.

2. I would also strongly recommend buying one second hand right off and shooting for awhile before you determine what exactly you want. Save about 50% off building one from scratch.

338 Lapua is not cheap, so I would go with the option 2 first and save my money for shooting.

BH

Lapua is far from cheap..but they are fun

I also agree with letting a god smith guide you thru the process. That's what they do everyday most know what they are doing.

Call Kevin Cram of Montour county rifles. He is always more then willing to lend an ear to help out.

570-437-2010

If you go with option two, here is an idea: The Remington 700P MLR. Its a civi make of the M-24A3.

I lucked out and got one that shoots extremely well, under .5 MOA at 100 yards consistantly. Haven't heard anyone who said it shot worse that .75 MOA at 100. Got it real cheap too, and had a Leupold Mk4 mounted on it for a total price around $2400 with base and rings, which is cheap for a 338 Lapua.

My next custom build will probably be when its barrel wears out, and I will scavenge the action and magazine well off of it, and maybe even the stock, as it is a pretty solid HS Precision stock. Might go with something lighter though.

That may be a great option for you. And the gun scoped is under 12 pounds, so it isn't too big to hunt with at all. I have shot it at 1000 yards a couple of times, and it shoots under a 10 inch group, even with my lack of elite skill :D.

I would 2nd. what Bounty Hunter said. I started a build, then a week later on this site saw my "dream rifle" for sale. Was more than I wanted to spend. Where I started build, changed management.long story short, still waiting for my rifle,yr. later and spent more than I WANTED TO.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.