338 Lapua vs. 300 Magnum

mmh

For long range shooting & hunting, what advantage does a .30 Cal magnum (pickone: WinMag, WSM, RUM) have over the 338 Lapua? Ammo cost for me would be a non issue - for light loads I would use a .308 & if you reload (which I do), then a Lapua does not cost that much more to shoot than a .30 cal magnum. Both the Lapua and .30 Magnums really require a muzzle brake, so recoil is in the same category. The .30 cal magnums deliver 3000 to 4000 fl-lbs of energy whereas the Lapua delivers 4000 to 5000 ft-lbs. Obviously the Lapua is a bigger jump over the .308, but if I can't do it with a 308 then does it matter if I step up a little or allot? Also, ballistic coefficient favors the Lapua.

What am I missing here?

Funny you should ask about these two rounds. Bryan Litz wrote about them in his latest book entitled Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting. An entire chapter is devoted to this very subject. His conclusion is that the 300Win Mag loaded with Berger's 230gr OTM outperforms the 338 Lapua at 1000-1500 meters when the 338 is loaded bullets other than the 300 gr Berger OTM.

IF the 300 gr OTM is used with the 338 Lapua it edges out the 300 win mag.

Based on Mr. Litz's tests, the 300 RUM with its higher velocities compared to the 300 win mag, should either equal or surpass the Lapua in downrange performance. Of course the Lapua has more energy.

Why choose the 338 with more recoil? Sure you can use a brake but you can shoot a 300 RUM without one. My 9 lb 300 RUM isn't that bad even with 230 match target hybrids going 3000 fps.

Your choice.

Would a 30 cal magnum be significantly harder on barrels than a 338?

Would a 30 cal magnum be significantly harder on barrels than a 338?
Yes! Anytime you dump a lot of powder down a smaller hole it is harder on barrels. I am guessing barrel life in the Lapua would be twice that of a big 30. It depends on what you want to do with the gun and how far you want to do it. I have shot both and for longrange energy there is no comparison. If I was hunting a lot of elk it would be the 338 Lapua. If I was hunting far it would be the Lapua. When it comes to seeing wash and impacts the difference is significant. I don't use the OTM but use the Elite. As long as you are not pushing them over 3000 you will be ok. With R33 the Lapua is capable of reaching 3000 in some guns. Depends on throats and barrels. Matt

It boils down to what you gonna do with it.

Beyond 1500 go 338LM. I went 338/300RUM aka 338Edge just to be 'different' from my buddy.

It boils down to what you gonna do with it.

Beyond 1500 go 338LM. I went 338/300RUM aka 338Edge just to be 'different' from my buddy.

I've never had a .338 Lapua. I've had a .300 Lapua and 3 .300 RUM's. I now have 1 .300 RUM and a 7RSAUM. If I ever want another big mag it will be the .338 Edge. I believe they are a good compromise for myself. I also believe that the .338 vs the .300 the .338 barrel life will be longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts