.338 Lapua questions

May i recommend the hornady lock n load bullet compararater you need to buy a 338 bushing, a 338 lapua modified case, the attachment that goes on your caliper, and i would advise you to get the rod that measures how far off of the lands you are. hope this helps (i also have the savage fcp in 338 lapua)

Just orderd the Comparator w/338 bushing from Midway, I already have the Lock n Load OAL Gauge, and moded case, Thanks for the input though.

If you still dont get readings within .005 i woul definanty check and make sure that the bullet tip isnt touching the seateing stem

It is not uncommon, I would almost say the norm, for the factory supplied brass w/Hornady, their gauge to be off a fair amount. I have 1/2 doz. and the closest is .005 short of my fired case, the worst is .019 short, on my 340 wby. I use the Sinclair tool, for which you use your own fired brass. When you get your comparator, measure your '' case gauge'' and compare it to your ''FIRED'' actual chamber size, you want this number for shoulder bump. Then you will know if you have any difference, for which you would want to account for.

Got My Comparator today, measured My chamber to be 2.990" to the lands. I'm going to load up a half dozen or so rounds from .020", .025", and .030" off the lands and see whaere that gets Me. Has anyone ever had much luck using IMR4831 with this round? Just curious, I have a lb that My buddy picked up for Me and wondered if it would be worthwhile to even try this powder with a 300gr pill. I've got some H1000 and RL25 on the way, might have enough US869 left for 8-10 rounds as well.

Kind on this same discussion, I have a head space die?? I think. It clamps onto my caliper and measures the o-give of the bullet. But that doesn't give OAL. So when you say measure off the lands, are you basing it off this device and measurement?

Also, my hornady case to really measure to my lands is still on back order so I have no way now to do that. I tried with a bullet and case and put it in the bolt but came off with different numbers with different cases. And not even close.

Just want to make sure I am doing this right

I am awaiting the delivery of a Savage 338 Lapua, 110 FCP-HS. How is the magazine length using either 300 SMK 's or Bergers when seated within .025" of the lands?. Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried drilling and tapping/threading an actual fired case and using it with the Hornady Loc n Load seating depth Gage?

I am awaiting the delivery of a Savage 338 Lapua, 110 FCP-HS. How is the magazine length using either 300 SMK 's or Bergers when seated within .025" of the lands?. Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried drilling and tapping/threading an actual fired case and using it with the Hornady Loc n Load seating depth Gage?

Greyfox i have a savage 110 fcp hs in 338 Lapua and i can seat a 285 grain hornady bthp match which is the same length at the matchking .015 into the lands and it will fit in the mag

Greyfox i have a savage 110 fcp hs in 338 Lapua and i can seat a 285 grain hornady bthp match which is the same length at the matchking .015 into the lands and it will fit in the mag

Thanks Riley, I have a Savage LRP in 260 and it has generous room in the magazine. I'm glad the same is the case with the 338. Art

On the magizine 3.850 is stamped on so you should be able to seat them to no more than a coal of 3.850

Marioq and Greyftthox,Refer to my post #18. The Hornady gauge has built in inaccuracy,WITH their supplied brass. This is a non issue if shooting a fair amount off lands. But if you want a touch or .005 OFF.Your gauge could be giving you the wrong info. Marioq-What you are measuring your bullet with is a comparator, this IS the number you want to use for oal. If you prefer make a dumby to this size and measure the COAL WITH your caliper to tip for a cross reference. Match type bullets, metplates vary quite a bit so the ogive is the prefered method to track length. You can take a fired case,slot neck with a jewlers or fine hacksaw,push in slight with fingers to hold bullet.Carefully insertin chamber,then read oal. Greyfox, I have the tap and have tried to make the gauge case, but it is difficult for me to get the tape to track perfectly straight, resulting in a cocked and poor measurement. If you use the Hornady gauge brass, check it against your fired case, with shoulder gauge insert and you will know the difference to compensate for. Hornady will make you a gauge off your fired brass for small fee

Last edited:
Kind on this same discussion, I have a head space die?? I think. It clamps onto my caliper and measures the o-give of the bullet. But that doesn't give OAL. So when you say measure off the lands, are you basing it off this device and measurement?

Also, my hornady case to really measure to my lands is still on back order so I have no way now to do that. I tried with a bullet and case and put it in the bolt but came off with different numbers with different cases. And not even close.

Just want to make sure I am doing this right

Sounds to me like you are using a Comparator as well but I could be wrong. It won't give You OAL since it measures to the Ogive, which is what you want for seating depth. OAL can very due to Bullet length varience unless You use a meplat uniformer. All I'm really worried about is seating depth so I know how much jump off the lands I have.
I have heard of some making a dummy round for Die set up by using an un-primed uncharged brass, seat the bullet too long and then chambering it using the bolt to seat the bullet all the way. That would give you Your chamber length to the lands. Not sure how well it would work, I have never tried it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.