338 Lapua Powder

bhol

Anybody have good results with the new RL-33 powder in a 338 Lapua?

Or is Retumbo or H-1000 the better powder to stick with?

I've tried h1000 and could not get it to shoot well. Retumbo was better for me but I am out of it... Trying to order 33 now... Going to try 25 next...
That is where I am

I have not tried RL33, but have both Retumbo and H-1000 in 338 LM's, RUM's and Edge's. There are characteristics of Retumbo I dislike and I always found H-1000 more stable and better long range accuracy. I use mostly 300 gr bullets.

Jeff

RL 25 for 250 gr smk and H1000 for 300 gr is what works best for me , I got lucky and didn't have to try a lot of different powders but I did work up much loads in .1 gr intervals, at 200 yds took my time and got one hole 5 shot groups out of both loadings, and the checked them at 800 yds and again at 1600 yds turned out to be like a walk in the park, thank God ! .338 lm is pricey to play with

Got a pound of RL33 to play with. Going to use 285 Hornady's. Need to figure out a starting load with it though. Haven't found much data on the RL33 but it looks like I may start around 96-97 grains. Anyone run a Quickload on that combo for me?

There sure isn't much data out there on RL-33. I worked up some loads with it in a long throated 7mm WSM and got impressive results and the burn rate was nominal. I then put it in my 300 RUM and the burn rate jumped way up. What I thought would be a minimum starting load turned out to be a max load that happened to shoot very well. Load development pretty well done but… I missed big time on the starting load so do be careful. I did see some data from Alliant for Lapua 338s using 300 grain MKs which showed 2,748 fps and 64,530 psi with 97.5 grains RL-33.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.