.338 lapua model 700 build?

bubbagodkin

I have a 10 year old model 700 w/ stainless barrel,synthetic stock,factory detachable magazine. In 7mm rem mag.
I am wondering if I can use this action for a .338 lapua? I will be ordering a Manners MCS GAT stock (thumbhole), and I will be putting a Lilja stainless barrel on it (not sure on what size)? And will be using a Patriot arms fat bastard muzzle break. Will I be able to use the detachable magazine with this caliber? I will be using my busnhell 6500 4.5-30X 50mm scope on it. I plan on getting a local gunsmith to put it together for me and I will bed it myself.
Is there any concerns or things that you guys can reccomend this is my dream build and I will be shooting this gun for a long time! It is gonna be used for long range hunting where alot of glassing is required so weight isn't that big of a deal.

I would look at a 338 Edge on a stock 700 action. I am just not a fan of opening the bolt face that much for the Lapua round., very little margin of error there. The edge will be might close on MV anyway and lot easier to do.

Just my opinion which will differ from some.

BH

It can be done but as Bounty Hunter said opening up the bolt face that big leaves a small margin of error if something were to happen. If you'd like to stay with .338 cal the .338 Ultra Mag or the .338 Edge are probably your best bet for building a long range .338 cal safely on a Remmington.

Wow this .338 edge does sound like it would fill all of my requirements. What rate of twist and size of barrel would you guys reccomend? This is for a long range big game hunting rifle, I don't mind carrying a heavy rifle either so what would be best?

Nothing at all wrong with a 338 La[ua on the 700 action

Heres mine

338LapuaBrassSolid009.jpg

ElkHuntNewMexico2008063.jpg

Another view

Shooting338Laupa003.jpg

It shoots OK too

DSC00858.jpg

I would recommend a 30", 1-10 twist barrel with a contour of 1.250 at breech tappered to .900 at muzzle. You might want to invest in a better scope if your going to be shooting either the 338 Edge or 338 Lapua. These cartridges produce a ton of energy and recoil and I have been told the lower end scopes like Bushnell don't handle this type of energy very well, but they might. I would seriously think about a higher quality scope with this type of cartridge and for the long range shooting you want to do. Good luck.

So the concern with the 338 lapua caliber on a model 700 is that the bolt face has to be enlarged (on a endmill) to chamber the wider lapua case, leaving alot less meat on the bolt? And possilby making the rifle less safe in the event of a failure?
Will the bolt have to be opened up for a 338 edge on my existing action? (7mm rem mag)? Sorry guys I am a millwright by trade but alot of this gunsmith terms and procedures are new to me, I do have some machinist skills.

I would look at a 338 Edge on a stock 700 action. I am just not a fan of opening the bolt face that much for the Lapua round., very little margin of error there. The edge will be might close on MV anyway and lot easier to do.

Just my opinion which will differ from some.

BH

+1

It can be done but a long with the thin bolt face shroud the extractor will be very thin
and fragile.

Most gunsmiths will not recomend opening up the remingtion bolt face shroud that much
and when you compare the 338 RUM .338 edge and the 338 Lupua bllistics there is very
little difference in velocity.

Just my 2 cents also
J E CUSTOM

As far as the scope is concerned, I would have no hesitation to use your 6500. The Elite series is a very substantial scope compared to the banner series or any of their cheaper models. I have seen and used the 4200 Elite and it is very rigid. Sniper Central has a report on the Elite and he builds sniper grade rifles using the 3200 series. Keep and use the bushnell. It might suprise you how well it will work.

The Lapua is a good caliber. They are used extensivley over seas in the sandbox. It is the prefered LR rifle. 2900 fps is all you need and it can deliver that. What ever you hit at say..... 1800+yrds has no idea what the muzzle velocity was when you blew its heart up. I don't know what your loading experience is, but the edge will require you to neck size the 300 RUM to 338 and fire form. Personally I don't have the time or patience for that. I might try some later when the kids grow up.

Good luck on your build. Let us know how it works out with lots of pictures.

my reloading expierance is pretty minimal but it seems to be working (the groups have gotten smaller). I have never necked down or up and cartridges and that fireforming sounds like a pain. I would really like to go lapua so I can just grab a pack of shells go pound em off and then reload em. as for the scope ya that 6500 busnell is great quality it ain't nothing like the old bushnells, so far on the 7mm that I have had it on I can't enough good about it and that is comparing it to VXIII's.

bubbagodkin,

There really is no fire forming involved with the 338 Edge, and as far as necking up w/300RUM brass, or necking down w/375RUM brass that is only a 2 second operation. So don't let that scare you away from the 338 EDGE. The Edge is a very easy caliber to reload for. With the action you have build yourself the 338 Edge. You won't be disapointed.

The Lapua ammunition is definitely going to be more widely available. Though it still is not a very popular caliber in gun shops yet. If you ever went on a trip to go hunting, you better make sure you have plenty loaded or purchased from a supplier. I would suggest the Black Hills ammunition. Initial purchase is relatively costly, but once you start reloading the cost comes way down. The other thing would be to purchase bulk from Midway or whom ever you choose to use for supplies.

My cousin is going to build one in the Savage target action. It should be a pretty nice rifle. He will be able to eject spent casings but to pull a loaded round out of the chamber he is going to have to pull the bolt. I personally think you are making a good caliber choice for relatively big .338. It has been a proven caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.