.338 lapua model 700 build?

Will I be able to run a .338 edge in my model 700, and be able to have it not be a single shot? Will the 338 edge fit in my detachable magazine? I read this article and the lapua is the same diameter as the weatherby too from what i have read so it sounds like the lapua is out for this build.

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: 378 Weatherby Cases in the Remington 700 Action?

Remington makes the 700 in 338 Lapua for Military/Law Enforcement and they have tested the 700 action to 100,000 PSI with no failures according to Bounty Hunter. Also instal a "Sako" style extractoer this solves any and all extraction problems.

When you read Dan's article read it all including the part where he doesn't think that the Weatherby Mark V action is big enough. Mike Rock has ran the engineering numbers on the M-700 action and his conclusion is that it is strong enough without a doubt.
The brass quality alone is reason enough to go with the Lapua round IMHO and that is why I went with it.
The M-700 action is easy to set up for a C.O.A.L of 3.9 inches because the bolt stop is part of the trigger group and a bit of grinding and you have a repeater with the bullet seat so that the boattail is at the neck shoulder junction, therefore no "donut" issues

Last edited:
Remington has been producing 338 Lapua's on the M-700 action since 2006

RemingtonMilitary.com

From the web page;

New for 2006 is the Model M24A3 Sniper Weapons System – a long range version of the widely used Model M24 Sniper Weapons System which has been the standard for the US Army since 1988. Chambered in the highly successful 338 Lapua Magnum, the M24A3 is yet another evolution of the M24 Sniper Weapons System. Known for its extreme long range accuracy the 338 Lapua Magnum is quickly becoming the obvious selection for our nations warriors.
Features of the newly introduced Model M24A3 Sniper Weapons System include a highly effective external extractor; offered by custom gun shops for decades. The M24A3 also features a detachable 10-round box magazine, H&S Precision Pro-2000 stock assembly OR the Accuracy International Chassis System (AICS®), both feature adjustable length of pull (LOP) and an adjustable cheek rest. Additionally the M24A3 features the Modular Accessory Rail System, a Leupold Mark 4™ 8.5-25X M1, and an OPS INC® 12th Model 338 LM Muzzle Break and Sound Suppressor.*

The Model M24A3 Sniper Weapons System is based upon the combat proven M24 Sniper Weapons system in use today by the US Army in the Global War On Terrorism (GWOT) and is widely considered as the standard by which other sniper rifles are judged. The Model M24A3 Sniper Weapons System will continue to offer surgical precision and reliability to those who demand the best.

I agree that the 700 Action is a good action to use for either the .338 Lapua or .338 Edge. I would personally lean towards the Edge.

The Lapua is certainly an accurate cartridge, but from my standpoint, when doing a build, I look at all of the modifications needed to do make the action work.

I'm actually in a very similar situation, where, I have difinative plans to build a Long range .338 caliber rifle. This will be build #3 in a year or two, I'm in the middle of #2 right now.

Mine is a Remington 700 BDL Sendero (1st Generation) in a 7mm Remington Magnum. So I'm essentially in your shoes, except for the detachable magazine.

In your shoes, I don't think that the .338 Edge will fit in the factory detachable magazine. The 700 actions for the Ultra Mags and the .375 H&H "Family" of cartridges are opened up more than the .30-06 and "Shorter Magnums" (not WSMs). This is for the cartridge diameter and also for the OAL of the loaded cartridge. and the magazine is definately longer as well, but not by much. ( I've compared them) So there would have to be some machine work done to the bottom of the action and feed ramp & Lips to allow for proper feeding for both Cartridges to some extent.

Then there is the bolt face which would not have to be opened up for the edge, but opened up for the Lapua and a Sako style extractor installed (certainly a superior design to the standard Remington extractor), even Remington on their M24A3 .338 Lapua has a external extractor. (Thanks to jwp for pointing that out.)

From my point of view, the .338 edge is a better choice for cost reasons. I simply cannot afford the extra cost of the Sako extractor as well as the milling of the bottom of the action. And yes Lapua and Norma Brass is certainly better than Remington Brass, however at twice the cost, I can't afford the more expensive stuff.

I'm more ecconomically minded, each build I've done has taken me about 2 years of saving to put them together and I still want to be able to shoot them when their built. I personally would like to have one of each, however I regress..... I may actually sell the 7mm mag Sendero and purchase a 700 Sendero in a .300 Ultra to avoid the milling of the action all together.

I looks like you hve a tough decision to make. Good Luck!

Dan

" And yes Lapua and Norma Brass is certainly better than Remington Brass, however at twice the cost, I can't afford the more expensive stuff. "

The 338 Lapua Brass will give you 8 to 10 loadings, at least that's what I have got. I don't think that the RUM brass will get close. No discarded case's with the Lapua brass during prepping and coupled with the extra loadings, I don't see it as more expensive..

besides gettin ringed in the forhead a few times by the scope...its hard to beat a 338 lapua. i seen my dad do a one shot kill on an elk this year at 1100 yards and it never moved a muscle just collapsed. 300 SMK

Bubbagodkin,

The biggest stumbling block for you right now is the Remington factory box mag. These have a few problems.
1. They are not very reliable.
2. A 338 Edge won't fit in it.
3. A 338 Lapua won't feed very well from it.
4. The action on you rifle has straight (read no) feedrails so you cannot switch systems.

If you want a 338 in a 700 you really need to get a different 700 to work with. If you get a standard magnum action and have a Wyatt's box mag fitted to it you can run an Edge easly. It will duplicate the Lapua's velocity or exceed it depending on what powder you use. While the Lapua brass is of higher quality you won't have trouble getting the Rem brass to shoot and it lasts just as long all other things being the same. You do not have to fire form Edge brass and there are no more steps to loading it than there is with the Lapua. You would be happy with either one but the only thing the Lapua offers over the Edge is more money to build, more money to shoot, and more money to load for. If you have your heart set on a Lapua then build one, but I recommend simply replacing the bolt with a PTG bolt and M-16 extractor setup for the LM. Also if you go LM get a center feed magazine for it. Hope this info helps you with your decision.

Thanks for the help guys, I have decided that the model 700 is gonna stay as is (maybe a lilja barrel) sometime. I have a ton of brass and tons of reloading supplies for it (7mm rem mag). But I have also decided that maybe I should get a 338 lapua built from the ground up action and everything, The only other option is I get a brand new 338 Lapua in a sako TRG-42 for $2800 (including taxes, this is canadian). I am not made of money so could I make a nice hunting rilfe for less than that? I wouldn't mind pulling my mounts and rings off the 700 with the scope, to put on the new rifle so are there any aftermarket actions that are the same style as a 700?

From my point of view, the .338 edge is a better choice for cost reasons. I simply cannot afford the extra cost of the Sako extractor as well as the milling of the bottom of the action. And yes Lapua and Norma Brass is certainly better than Remington Brass, however at twice the cost, I can't afford the more expensive stuff.

You are correct that the initial cost of 338 Lapua brass is more expensive than the standard Remington 300 RUM, but considering I have loose primer pockets with my (300) RUM brass after 3 firings, and the Lapua case has been reported to have 10-15 reloads (I have yet to confirm this but all reports suggest the same), you will be much farther ahead in terms of $ with the Lapua case in the long run, which turns into quite a deal considering it's the best brass available for consistency and durability.

The biggest stumbling block for you right now is the Remington factory box mag. .

An affordable drop-in is the HS precision DBM, which is a center feed that works very well on my custom M700 338 LM (started out as a factory MLR 338LM). I originally planned on building a 338 Edge, but in my 300 RUM's the brass life has been poor. The lapua brass is reason enough to go 338 LM, IMO.

PK338LM1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok,

I guess I could have put it in better terms, that after having built the rifle The inital cost difference of the Lapua vs the .338 Edge is quite a bit. I personally like to have 200 or more rounds on hand at all times (and for Brass rotation purposes) and for myself, It would be cheaper to go initally with the Edge. I know I wouldn't be shooting this rig to the same extent I shoot my Varmit rifle so the Brass would serve me for several years. I've seen the cost of Lapua and Norma Brass Skyrocket and their costs have increased much more than Remington and other domestic sources of brass.

I have no problem at all with the Lapua. I would have one if I could, but I also want an Edge and first things first, The Edge would suit my needs better for the first rifle and down the road (if I get a better Job), then I'll try to get a Lapua. The Edge would be more practical right now. But I'm still on Build #2 the Edge will be build #3.

Dan

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but none of the posts that I read addressed the feed lip problem of the 700 action.

To take a magnum action and make it work with an edge or Lapua, you will have to open up the magazine lips and covert to a single stack box (preferably AI type that you can fit nice and tight by hand filing on it)

I was hoping to get some measurements, but I guess I will have to do the complete build and post the info later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 83
I totally forgot about this thread, such a long time ago.

I still haven't been able to build either the Edge or the Lapua. Still either would be nice.

I still am not made of money, but for now my needs and current pursuits are different than 7 years ago.

I'm working with a fast twist 7 STW for medium to Long range work. I'll get to the .338s one day.

Best of luck to those that pursue your dream rifle.

Dan

Well, you could purchase this one, I got a 700 action cheap off a buddy.

Decided to do it just to see if I could.

I was going to do a 28" Bartlein heavy varmint, fluted with APA brake in a Manners T2A with CDI bottom metal.

Much like this one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 188
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.