338 Lapua load

Firearrow

To start with Im working up a load for a friends Savage 110BA 338. In using Lapua brass, CCI Lg Mag primers, H1000, and 300gr Berger's. What I am getting right now is around 2815 fps with 90.5gr of H1000, and this is 1.0gr bellow the rifle/bullet max pressure. First problem is he wants the rounds loaded to mag length, and woun't consider single loading so that I could increase COAL. I tried to explain why it would e better, but he said HELL NO, and he wants to shoot this rifle two miles. Mind you he has never shot past 250 yards. Ya, he was watching the Military Chanel and saw the Canadian Sniper that made that long shot.

So back to the real world, I was really hoping to get into the mid to low 2900fps. I was hoping someone out there had this same rifle and I could get some feed back.

Thanks.

You won't get to 2900 fps out of a 26" barrel. Have you shot the 90.5 gr load over a chronograph? I would bet that you are not at 2815 fps with 90.5 gr. You probably not even above 2800 fps. You would have to have a 338 Lapua Improved or something in that case size to get 2900 fps.

The good news is that you can still reach out to 2000 yards with that load quite easily. You would probably have to put a 30 MOA or 40MOA rail on it.

That's strange....I was in the mid to upper 2700s when I was in that powder range. My rifle is a single shot with a 26" barrel but I guess every gun is different! I load mine .015" off of the rifling though.

You won't get to 2900 fps out of a 26" barrel. Have you shot the 90.5 gr load over a chronograph? I would bet that you are not at 2815 fps with 90.5 gr. You probably not even above 2800 fps. You would have to have a 338 Lapua Improved or something in that case size to get 2900 fps.

The good news is that you can still reach out to 2000 yards with that load quite easily. You would probably have to put a 30 MOA or 40MOA rail on it.

The relentless pull of gravity.......:)

Myself, I think his chrono is flakey. I can't get close to 2800 with 91 grains of H1000. Far as 2000 yards, I can't see that far anyway and I don't have a smog issue.:D

I wouldnt say you want reach 2900 fps with a 300 gr bullet. My 338 lapua Rem 700 MLR gets 2850 fps with 94 grs of H-1000. No ijector marks and 3/4 moa. I know the fps is correct. I have both PVM-21 and Magneto speed chronoghs and they say 2850 fps. I have 5 loadings on the lapua brass, you may get 2900 fps with RL-33 but case life may be short!:D

The sunshade might have a bullet nick or two in it. :)

I know that story. I should probably buy a Magnetospeed but the old Lyman works just fine..... few nicks here too (from the hangun workups).

Thanks for the info guys. I have 8 lbs of H1000, and 0 lbs of RE-33. I think my buddy will have to be happy with what he gets.

I have 24 pounds, enough to last a long time I suspect.

Keep in mind that increasing the velocity and load not only shortens case life, it shortens barrel life too. 338 anything is a barrel burner...

Not on a load but I've found PPU brass in 338 Lapua to be pretty good stuff too.

I can't say much for their factory loads, I had a box of 20 with 5 misfires (hard primers).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.