338 Lapua Load

alaska

Just aquired a M700 in 338 Lapua

Plan on using Nosler 250gr AB

Anyone have a good hunting load?

Looking forward to RL 33 when it comes out this spring!

Thanksgun)

imo retumbo and h1000 are what you should be using in the 338 lapua.. accuracy stays with temp changes.. and will help stablize those bigger bullets.. may I ask why you are not going to try the 285 or 300 grain bullets.. those rifle are made for the big pills... I do shoot the 250 accubonds but I love the 300 grain accubonds

I did not know nosler had a 300 gr AB

It was designed around the 250 @ 3000 fps

I guess thats why i started with the 250's.

I have some magnum and H1000 on hand but noticed the sierra manual shows RL 19 hunter load @ 3000 fps with 250's.

well I dont live in alaska but I know even in oregon big temp changes cause problems for the rl line for me.. so I just use hodgden now.. no issues.. but it will very with climate im sure of that.. the 300 grain accubonds are awesome.. and lay the smack down.. same with the bergers.. thats all I shoot through my lapua is the 300 grian pills... u loose velocities but gain alot in energy..

H1000, cci magnum primers, Berger 300gr OTM, and Lapua brass

Mix well, and enjoy.

--md

Where is a good place to fine once fired Lapua brass?

I have watched gunbroker.

I currently have Hornady brass.

Awaiting for my leupold scope base to arrive and warmer temps here in Fairbanks before the range.

Noticed Berger is out with a 250/300 hunting bullet for the lapua.

Looking forward to RL 33 hitting the shelves!

Last edited:
I've been shooting a .338 for couple years now and I agree with Kasey above, use the 300gr bullets with the Retumbo powder. Just great results temperature be damned.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.