338 Lapua case head separation

Greyfox

I just had a case head separation with my Savage FCP 338. The head of the case ejected the case body is stuck in the chamber. What's involved to get it out?
Thanks

In most cases, when that happens, the remaining part of the case is not that hard to get out. They can usually be removed with an over-sized bore brush on a rod. With this being a 338 LM, I'm not sure that will work. If not, they make a "Broken Shell Extractor" which is inserted into the case and expanded. The grippers on the tool then pulls the broken case out.

The next questions are what caused it and how do you prevent it from happening again?

http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/brass/rce

I have removed them by chambering another fired piece of brass. Lightly push it forward and it will slid inside the case left in there. Then simply pull it back out removing both cases. Start with light pressure going forward, increase pressure a little if it does not come out with a easy forward push.

Jeff

I have removed them by chambering another fired piece of brass. Lightly push it forward and it will slid inside the case left in there. Then simply pull it back out removing both cases. Start with light pressure going forward, increase pressure a little if it does not come out with a easy forward push.

Jeff

Thats how we get them out of the M2HB's most the time. if it doesnt work with a few tries we will use the tool. but 75% the time it will get it on the second try.

Holy cow........ lapua....seperation? I hate to pry but do you have the problem identified and corrected?

Holy cow........ lapua....seperation? I hate to pry but do you have the problem identified and corrected?

I haven't figured out if there is an issue with the rifle. Headspace was OK. I think I may have just pushed too many loads on the brass. It went at 5 reloads. I'm not shooting near max. I have to take the rifle to a smith, can't get the case out.

In my experience head seperations are usually from excessively full length sized brass. I suspect all the brass similarly prepped and round count is headed for the same ending.

In my experience head seperations are usually from excessively full length sized brass. I suspect all the brass similarly prepped and round count is headed for the same ending.

Sized my brass .002" under fired brass. Bit it is steely all headed for the same ending if I continue shooting. The separation took place on the fifth reload. Maybe that all I can expect.

Sized my brass .002" under fired brass. Bit it is steely all headed for the same ending if I continue shooting. The separation took place on the fifth reload. Maybe that all I can expect.

My 338 LM (Lapua Head stamp) Brass was at 15 firings when I sold the rifle. Still going as far as I know. At 10 firings I checked the area above the web for thickness and it was fine in the 10 so I checked so I kept on running it.

If Lapua brass is going away in 5 firings there is something wrong in my mind.

jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.