338 lapua based cartridges?

JAWZ

I am able to get a steady supply of 338 lapua brass once fired for nicks.
And I am soon to have my Edge I don't want another 338 so what else can I turn the brass into?

Money. Or a 7mm Allen Magnum. Kirby bases a few of his cartridges off of the 338 Lapua brass. What caliber(s) are you considering? Provide that info. and you'll probably get some more specific responses.

I'd buy a few for dimes. :)

I'm open to any suggestions.
Is the 270 AM built on this case? If so what's barrel life like.

Ps if I could pass some on to you guys I would but trying to export it is more trouble then it's worth.

THe 270 AM is based on the 300 RUM parent case.

I have the following wildcats based on the Lapua case:
277 Allen Magnum
7mm Allen Magnum
300 Allen Xpress
338 Allen Xpress
375 Allen Xpress

Only problem is that my reamers are set up with min body specs set up for virgin cases so its likely if the once fired brass you will be getting was fired in factory rifles, the head expansion will prevent it from chambering properly in one of my chambers just because they have expanded to a diameter to large for my reamer specs.

I own one of the few 277 AM's out there right now. The 277 AM ballistics are absolutely awesome. The problem is: to get the most out of the Allen Magnums that are based on the 338 Lapua case, you need to shoot heavy-for-caliber bullets. The 277 AM really shines with the 195 grain and 169.5 grain bullets from Wildcat Bullets. The 277 AM will launch the 195 grain (BC = .8 to .9) around 3100 to 3200 fps. The 169.5 grain (BC = .7+) leaves the barrel at approx 3400 fps.

Problem is, there aren't any of those bullets to be had right now and it has been that for nearly a year. Its like having a race car, but no gas. The sole source of the heavy bullets in .277 was Wildcat Bullets. The company was sold a while back, but the new owner hasn't yet got the fed go-ahead to start production. The heaviest bullets available in .277 caliber from the better-known bullet makers are only 150 grains. Given the short barrel life of the 277 AM, it seems a shame to shoot the 150 grainers (velocity 3500 fps or more?).

Even though the 277 AM is a great round, its weakness is the limited number of companies that make the heavy-for-caliber .277 bullets. Instead, I would recommend either the 7mm AM or the 300 AM. Besides Wildcat Bullets, you have Berger, Nosler, Sierra and a few others that make heavier bullets in the .284 and .308 caliber. If one bullet gets discontinued, you still have other to choose from. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.