.30cal round .338 lapua based - suggestions please

Tiff

Due to our crazy laws hear in the UK my .338 lapua TRG42 is not allowed to be used on deer, only range shooting:(. Apparently the largest calibre we can use outside of a range is .30cal, since anything bigger is so much much more dangerous:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've owed a .300 RUM before and while it was very good for long range deer, it was also very hard on the brass. So working with the .338 lapua bolt face, what would be the best .30 cal variant of the .338 lapua case? Also would a 7mm work or would barrel wear be very excessive. Any ideas greatly appreciated, Tiff.

Last edited:
suggestions on 338 base

I personally do not own one, but I here a lot of good things about the 7MM allen mag (338 LM necked to 7MM). Do not know about the regulations across the pond. Just my 2 cents.

So working with the .338 lapua bolt face, what would be the best .30 cal variant of the .338 lapua case? Also would a 7mm work or would barrel wear be very excessive. Any ideas greatly appreciated, Tiff.
Kirby Allen (Fiftydriver) of APS makes and shoots a whole family of wildcats. Below is the info on 2 of them. I own a 7mm AM and love it. Contact him at [email protected] and he will get you any info you may want or need.

300 Allen Xpress
338 Lapua Magnum parent case, necked to 30 cal and fireformed to the Allen Magnum shoulder and body configuration.
180 gr. (3450 to 3550 fps in 27-30" barrel) to 265 gr. ULD RBBT(3000-3100 fps in 27-30" barrel)
Designed for medium to heavy game at long range, deer, elk and moose specifically
Appropriate powders: H-1000, Retumbo, Rl-25, US869

7mm Allen Magnum
338 Lapua Magnum parent case, necked down to 7mm and fireformed to min body taper and shoulder angle.
140 gr.(3800 fps) up to 200 gr. ULD RBBT(.900 bc) 3200 to 3350 fps from 26" to 30" barrel lengths
Designed for long range big game hunting up to and including elk and moose. Has been used effectively on elk out to 1300 yards and has also proven one of the most ballsitically potent rounds in use today including the 277 Allen Magnum and the 338 Allen Magnum. Has proven capable of ½ moa accurate out to 1000 yards and 1 moa accurate out to 2800 yards in good conditions.
Appropriate powders: H-Retumbo, H-50BMG, H-870, H-US869, AA8700 and WC872

The 7mm AM certainly seems to fit the bill on paper. Whats the availability of the Wildcat bullets like, since they seem the best to use to get the most out of the rig. Plus how much are they each? Also any ideas on barrel life? Over here it can cost $1,000 minimum and 3 months wait to get a 30" barrel fitted! Sorry for all the questions.....

You can call Dave Kiff over at Pacific precision and get your own reamer based on the 338 Lapua neced to .30 and have it chambered over where you live. This is much easier to do than shipping a gun back and forth over the big pond. If you need a copy of a reamer print, I can send you a copy of the one I designed many, many years ago (many have used it) and you can use it as it is or modify it to your desires. It would be much easier to get a reamer shipped in than to get a gun or barrelled action in and out of Great Britian.
James

Chris,

Check your email. The reamer print has been sent to you.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.