suggestions on 338 lapua

Texas Republic

I am upgrading my my Savage 111 in 338 Lapua and am considering a couple different rifles that I would like any input on from you guys. Or perhaps a suggestion of a different model within the same price range that I havent considered.

-Weatherby Mark V TRR $2,226
I like the specs on this rifle a lot. I am wanting to try and stay somewhat light and comparable in weight to the Savage 111 because I actually do go hiking/hunting with my rifles quite a bit. I really like the RC (range certified) model of this rifle, but havent seen it in stock anywhere. Question: From glancing at the specs, I cant tell what difference there is between the regular model and the RC model besides the camo paint and range certificate. Am I missing something? I am not a fan of the Mark V model that Weatherby makes. I definitely want an adjustable cheek piece. And I hate the Carson knob adjustment cheek piece. That is one thing I hated about the Savage 111.

- Montana Rifle Co.
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2014/01/new-long-range-rifle-montana-rifles-company-mmr

Their rifle was suggested to me. Supposedly, they have a production model that is very similar to the Weatherby TTR noted above. The Montana MMR. However, their website has been down for weeks now, which makes me question buying anything from them if they cant even maintain a website. Any ideas?? I havent found many specs on the MMR. Except that its a shade under $3,000

I am not considering any other Savage models. Nor any Remington.

The one thing i've never understood about WBY is their high price & very lax accuracy guarantee. I've read articles about the TRR but i've NEVER seen one, for sale or on the range....

In my humblest of opinions, if you're looking to step up in the 338 world, I would suggest going custom. You don't have to spend $5k+ to get a good solid rifle built how you want it.

t

The one thing i've never understood about WBY is their high price & very lax accuracy guarantee. I've read articles about the TRR but i've NEVER seen one, for sale or on the range....

In my humblest of opinions, if you're looking to step up in the 338 world, I would suggest going custom. You don't have to spend $5k+ to get a good solid rifle built how you want it.

t

I priced one custom place that I know of, and their price was just about 5k. I am not a huge fan of custom rifles unless you KNOW the shop does a great job on everything.

But then you also have to consider the manufacturer warranty, etc. What if the shop closes or goes bankrupt. Where is the warranty then? On the other hand, a well established company is much more likely to stick around.

Kind of like mechanic work. Ford dealership costs much more and are probably just about the same as your good home town mechanic. But what if you are two states away and your truck breaks down. Your home town mechanic's warranty is still good, but he isnt in Oklahoma. He is in Texas. However, there is a Ford dealership in Oklahoma in that same exact town your are in. That is my viewpoint anyway. Correct me if I am wrong though. That is just what I have always assumed.

You're correct on some points. If you're to experience problems with your rifle you're far more likely to have issues right away than you will 1k rounds into it. That being said, I can't think of any of my custom rifles actually coming with a "warranty card". The small town gun plumber is far more likely to go out of business than your name brand shops like GAP, LRI, LAC, SAC etc.

Did you check with our sight host Len Backus? He has been offering crazy deals on custom rifles for the last couple years.

Best Long Range Hunting Rifles - Ready To Ship

t

You're correct on some points. If you're to experience problems with your rifle you're far more likely to have issues right away than you will 1k rounds into it. That being said, I can't think of any of my custom rifles actually coming with a "warranty card". The small town gun plumber is far more likely to go out of business than your name brand shops like GAP, LRI, LAC, SAC etc.

Did you check with our sight host Len Backus? He has been offering crazy deals on custom rifles for the last couple years.

Best Long Range Hunting Rifles - Ready To Ship

t
i havent checked him out yet. i will though. thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.