.338 lapua ai/improved

tbrown9124

I am wanting to build another 338 lapua and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the improved versions.

I have been working with my 338 Nawakwa for 7 years it is a 30° shoulder and have had barrels from 17" to 32" velocity 2740 to 3050 fps depending on barrel linguist and differences in barrels

The improved lapua is one of the most popular 338's on here and one of my favorites. You can not go wrong with choosing it. You can get more velocity but not a lot more unless you go to the chey-tac case.

To be honest i was looking for case life, with my other improved rifles i have notice i get on average 2 more loadings with very little streching, and a little extra velo with a 300grain bullet is and added bonus. As far as dies would you recomend i send some blanks when i get my rifle built and have them cut with the same reamer or who makes them? I know redding and rcbs propbably have but i am thinking more of a small maker that is very anal about super tight tolerances.

I make my dies with the chamber reamer and sizing die reamer match set I like to make the dies 1.250 for a rock chucker with the 7/8" reducer taken out of the press

You can order a matching resize and chamber reamer from Dave Kiff at PTG. Cost is about $135 each for the 338 size.

However, when you consider this should be a one time thing for the resize reamer, and I am not sure the cost of the reamer, chambering the dies, die blanks, heat treating etc, it is cost effective for the one time user.

consider going to Neil Jones at Neil Jones custom dies. He can make a set of dies perfectly matched to your chamber for around $350

I would still recommend the chamber reamer, that way your next barrel should match your existing dies with only resetting the shoulder.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.