.338 Lapua ackley

7mmrowland

My future project is to build one of these I know i can buy dies:), brass is expensive:( 338 bulletas are expensive:(, but I plan to only shoot this at load development, practice and long range hunting when needed so I would think 100 pieces of brass should last a long time. So I have a slight idea of what already to expect. Has anybody done this round and is there anything i need to know befor I order action for this case head size, and will I get 3000 fps with 300 grainers? I also have been talking Eric at Berger bullets and am waiting for a response on there knew 338 bullet so I can order a reamer from PTG. Any info would be appreciated. PS. New to the forum, 1st question probly a dumb 1!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The 338 LMAI is a good round, brass is very good and lasts. Short and sweet, 3000 with a 300 bullet can be met, but realisticly you will see results around 2900fps. Depends on barrel length also.

What they said above on the velocity.

If you waiting on the Berger 338s to order your reamer, you'll be waiting a while, as the most recent word from Berger is the end of this year beginning of next before that 338 pill is expected to be out.

you may wish to look at the Newly released Lapua 300 grain Scenar 338 pill, which is reported to have a BC significantly above that of the 300 grain Sierra 338.

JeffVN

That is why I was asking Eric if I throat for the Sierras it would be ok. If he dont have a anwser I can at least order the barrel, the action, and the stock. PTG is around 5 weeks so anyway I should be good for this spring.

Last edited:
I just had one Built by Longshot Precision. After we looked at all the options we went with the .338 Lapua and decided I didn't need the AI. I shoot a soft load of H-1000 and a 300 SMK out of a 27 1/2 " Lilja. MV is 2750. Here are 3 shots on a 2100 yard target. So 2750 and brass that never seems to change has made me very happy. The gong is 36".:)

Jeff

070908_21571.jpg

3000 fps is to much to expect from this case with a 300 grain bullet. About ten years ago when the Lapua and ultramag cases first came out I worked with several variations to try and come up with something to beat the 338-378 wildcat I had been working with since the late 70's. I exchanged input from a number of 1000 yard shooters who were also working on different variations of the Lapua. We all found that with a hunting weight rifle 3000 fps with the 300 matchking could not be acheived without risking blowing up your brass or your gun unless you had a one in a thousand super fast barrel that comes along very rarely. The variations of the Lapua shoot best in the 2800 fps range just like the 338-300 ultramag. Some are getting into the 2900's with good accuracy if they have a fast barrel. At this velocity they are extremely accurate and will kill anything at any range that would be acceptable in a hunting situation. If you want to build one it is a great round but don't build it expecting something there is a 99% chance it will not do and blow yourself up trying.

If you want 3000+ fps with a 300 matchking you need to move up to a 338-378 wby custom rifle that will get you there without blowing up your rifle or your brass. I have already been there, done that working with the 338's for over 30 years and if you want to make the next step up above any of these you have to go with something off the chey-tac case and they are just to heavy to hunt with.

Thanks for the info guys. Does anybody have a picture of this case loaded and ackleyed they could throw on this thread?:cool:

On the 3rd page of the link I put in my above post, there's a shot of the 338 Allen Express with the 265g AT RBBT. Not the 300 SMK, but much better BC. Good luck with your project.

May be selling a Time precision action that right bolt left port with a magnum bolt face that is fitted to a tactical stock was once chambered in a 7 shortmag wild cat of mine. Probly let it go for 800.00 with the stock will take pics if needed. May need to sell to fund new project, it is a fantasic action, but the port is to small for the Lapua case.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts