long shot across gullys for deer [ mountain ,high country ]
desert shots at humpy critters [mirage will come into it ]
and swine [open plains ]

no close shots [ under 200 + ]
out there shots 600 - 1200 +

:rolleyes:cheers
b.n

Bob,

I bought a 5.5-22 about a week ago, and I am absolutely crazy about this scope. I would think that it would be plenty of magnification out to 1500 yds. or better. This is only my opinion because I had not had the chance to shot it past 300 yds. yet. I have looked at several objects beyond a mile away, and could get a good sight picture on them. I do not think that you could go wrong with either of them.

Chris

i don't remember having any problems lining up on a groundhog at 1030 yds with my Lupy set on 16X. the more i shoot long range the more i favor a little less power setting. when i first started, 20 seemed like it wasn't enough. now i shoot on 12 and 16 power for most of my shots. it's a personal prefference thing but a 5-22 scope is hard to beat for the distances you mentioned.

Bob,

As an additional benefit the 5.5-22 has more elevation and windage adjustment than the higher magnifications. I to find the even shooting 2000 yards 22x is plenty. In about 1/2 the conditions I shoot in 22x can be a bit much. You'll love the NXS it is "the" scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.