Nightforce NXS 8-32 or 12-42?

montana_native

It seems like I see a lot more used 12-42 power NXS scopes for sale than the 8-32 powers. Is there a reason for that? About the only difference I can see is that the 8-32 has more MOA adjustment.

I am trying to chose between the two for an EDGE.

Thanks.

I would recommend the 5.5-22 instead of the 8-32 or 12-42. Most of the shooters that I know use the 8 and 12 for "F-Class" competition.

I would recommend the 5.5-22 instead of the 8-32 or 12-42. Most of the shooters that I know use the 8 and 12 for "F-Class" competition.

Can you tell me why? I am not arguing, just curious. My thinking tells me the more magnification the better.

Thanks.

Can you tell me why? I am not arguing, just curious. My thinking tells me the more magnification the better.

Thanks.

I have an 8 - 32 NXS NP R2 on my hunting gun.......wish I had the 5.5-22......The reasons.....

1. Lots more elevation adjustment with the 5.5-22. I think it is 110 MOA.

2. For hunting, 8x on the low end is just to much.....I always end up in thicker cover than I figured I would, and 5.5X would be worlds better than 8X.

3. I rarely use 32x on the high end. I have a hunting shack with all my benchrest stuff, and I still rarely use 32X. I seem to gravitate to that 22X setting.

4. On the NXS NP-R2, the ranging is done at 22x (and 11X). It just seems natural to dial the scope all the way up to the highest power to use the reticle for LR shooting. The 5.5-22 ranges at full power. With the 8 - 32, you need to take a look at the scope and be sure to be at the "R" for the ranging to work (22X).....EXACTLY at the "R". Just an extra step I don't want to take.

I love my 8 - 32, but i need the 5.5 -22 on my hunting gun, and the 12-42 on my bench gun.....I have neither!!!

I agree with 4xforfun, I have had a few 8-32's and for my next LR hunting gun I am going with the 5.5-22. If you were shooting mainly competitions I would say 8-32. I need the low end magnification at 5.5x for my hunting area, and then 22x is plenty for shooting/studying game at longer ranges.

Hi, I have for my 338Edge a NXS 8x32-56 NPR-R1 MOA, and of course it was nice to have 5-22-56 NXS scope.
On my case I choose 8-32 for 2 reasons.

I tried to cut weight when i backpaching, so i sold my USO spotting scope, and got this 8-32 NF with the ideea to use the scope as spotting scope.(not on human) just on games.
Glassing with binos, and then just switch to rifle, prepare for shoot, crank the scope at 32 ... yup the right points, or game, and then crank it at 15-22 take the shot and done.

Reasons. I got across this situation to manny times, hunting for doe, and just before pressing the trigger i notices someting is not right (the way how the ears are holding) and i just crank the scope to max power and ... surprise ...smole antlers behind the ears. IF I WOULD PRESS THE TRIGER i was in deep S**T. In Alberta a buck with less then 4 inch antlers is a DOE.
TOO MANNY TIMES... TO MANNY TIMES....

Second reason . i'm more fast with a scope at max power to identify the animal, and then just crank back the power at 15 and take the shoot, then jump to the spotting scope, jump back to the scope, search for location of the animal, make sure is the right one, and then press the trigger.

I just installed a 40MOA base to get more elevation and i'm back to the same MOA adjustment as 5-22 NXS scope (100MOA)

The 12-42x56mm and the 8-32x56mm both have to be ranged at 22x. All the excess power will be used more so as a spotting scope. The F-Class shooters like the 12-42 but for the most part I recommend the 5.5-22x50mm. I would recommend the 8-32x56mm over the 12-42x56mm.

Nightforce just makes great scopes no matter what one you get.

Mike @ CSGW

get the 5.5-22 for hunting and if you want alittle more if you plan to shoot f-class like myself get a optical booster(Gene Davis). The 22 changes to 28.6 with little adjusting. This works well for me.

Brent

I agree with 300rum.
I hunt for Blacktail in California and make a trip to Wisconsin for whitetail every year.
In the open country we hunt in California long shots are very possible and it is sure nice to have the extra magnification to really look at a buck before you shoot.
Took it antelope hunting this year and it was great to be able to see a buck way out there and determine if he was worth the effort of a stalk.
I don't need to pack my spotting scope anymore.
Horrible rig for the whitetail woods. I bought an Encore in 7-08 and put a nice little Zeiss scope on it.
It's all about what you are using it for.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.