338 Imperial loads???

WSlayman,

The 338 Imperial is virtually identical to the 338 Edge, so the loads promoted for the 338 Edge ought to work equally well in your 338 Imperial. Shawn Carlock swears by H1000 but he's shooting the 300 gr Sierra Matchkings. I don't know which powders he uses with 225 or 250 grain bullets. You might PM Shawn and see if he has any favorite powders for these lighter weight bullets.

Years ago when I was initially loading for the 338 Imperial I'd never heard of the Edge and it didn't yet exist as such to my knowledge. Then the 338 RUM came out I at least had that load data to consider and use in my load work-ups in my 338 Imperial.

Good luck with your Imperial load work. Let us know if you find the perfect combination as it will also have good potential for us 338 Edge owners.

Paul

Paul, the 7828 loads were taken from Shawn's site. I'm goin to try some H1000 and RL25 under a 225 AB this friday an see. ;)

Dave, thank you so much for the help. I got an e-mail from paul just minutes ago with lots of data for my .338 Imperial. As for the RWS brass i want it but i need to ask the boss if it's in the budget. Two new rifles and a scope in the last six weeks has her a little stressed...;) But i'll see what i can do. I'd like to see what the difference in velocity would be in my .360 Imperial with the RWS brass vs the Norma i'm useing nowlight bulb

WSlayman, would you be willing to share the data you got from Paul for the 338 Imperial? I just put one together but haven't shot it as yet. Had a car wreck June of 08. My neck took quite a beating, hope to have it healed soon and get this big beast out to the range. Sure could use some help with load data.

Has anybody tried H5010 powder yet? I have a mess of it and was hopeing to be able to use it on the 250 gr bullets.

WSlayman, I thank you kind sir for the data. I will be looking forward to your testing with the 250 gr bullets. I have bunches of 250 Gr Combined Technolgy bullets. That will be my mainstay. When I'm able to get out and do my own testing I will share my data with you. Thanks again kind sir,

Olcrip

A big thanks to Phorwath for the 338 Imperial data that Slayman shared with me. I just got the gun together but have reservations about going to the range with it as yet. I'm going through therapy with my neck injury and a bit apprehensive about taking any kind of recoil, even though I have a Vias muzzle brake on it. Just afraid to jar it at this time.

I have a large batch of H5010 powder I want to try. It works great with the heavy bullets in my 300 RUM. As things develop I will post them to share with other 338 Imperial shooters. Also working on the 375 Canadian Magnum. When it's together I will share my findings with it also.

Thanks much for the data to get me started and on the road to enjoying my wildcats.

Olcrip
Keep yore powder dry!

Hey guys, glad to see you're able to use some data I had collected. I'm still around and kicking. I just wanted to mention that my loads were worked up in RWS 404 Jeffery brass and that the RWS brass can take some pressures that will destroy Remington brass the first time around, so be a bit cautious approaching the maximum loads I listed. I had some loads I considered too hot even with my RWS brass. I remember shooting one brown bear with the 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw load and I had to hit the bolt handle up with the palm of my hand in order to work the action. I've moderated the intensity of my loads over the years as the need for speed has diminished - but only a tad bit :D.

Best wishes in your load workups and it would be great if you'd post back with any killer loads that you might develop. The Imperial was/is a great cartridge. I had my rifle worked over by Kirby Allen about two years ago and it's now a 338 Edge, but basically the same as the Imperial. Glad to see you're keeping the Imperial round on the active duty roster!!!

Paul, thanks again for the data. I've been useing RWS brass but will be worrking on loads with Norma and Hornady also. In both my 338 and 360 Imperials. I'll keep ya posted :)

Tryed some IMR 7828SSC 95.5gr under a 225 accubond seated 0.030 off the rifleing in Hornady brass yesterday. Got 3220fps but a 2" group. going to mess with the seating deapth an see if that helps the group. sure happy with the speed.

WSlayman,

I happen to be another 338 Imperial shooter. I wish I had run into your post a few years ago. I too built one before the Ultra Mags existed.

My hunting load has been 97 grains of RL-25 with a Sierra 250 Game King. This is using Norma 404 cases. Velocity is 3100-3125 out of a 28" barrel. I am experimenting with Remington 375 Ultra cases. Just size, trim to length and they work beautifully. You could hunt with that load before fireforming if you wanted. According to my notes, when measuring internal case volume, fired cases using Remington brass have about 3.0- 3.5 grains more capacity than those formed from Norma cases. The Imperial and Edge are for all intents and purposes identical. I like using the Remington brass because we eliminate the need to trim case rims to .532." Maybe not everyone does that, but I always did.

I started initially using Imperial brass. I still have some new stuff. It is quite soft though. Much prefer the Norma or Remington. Haven't tried 225 or 250 Accubonds yet but I will. One thing I've noticed about Accubonds is that some rifles prefer them seated farther from the lands. My 7mm STW and 300 Ultra both shoot better with the Accubonds seated deeper in the case.

Best wishes and good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.