338 Excalibur Who has experience with one.

Sling
I have read that before .
I just looked at the chamber reamer drawing of the Excalibur from PTG and it has a body tapper of .018 and the 338-378 is the same as far as I can tell ? someone may no exactly .
Just measured fired cases for the 300 &338 Rum and the have a body tapper of around .020 not chamber drawings but have to be close .
I'll still be happy with a load that dosnt give me a tight bolt even if its mild :)

Cant stop now full steam ahead .

The Ultra Mags are smaller diameter than the Excaliber. Don`t come back later saying nobody warned you. You say that you won`t load them high enough to cause extraction problems, well then you will be at 338 Lapua velocities. The 338-378 is very close to the Excaliber. Problem is Norma makes the Weatherby brass. I`m not saying Norma is low quality, I`m saying the Weatherby can`t be loaded as hot as the Excaliber because of the soft case head. Nobody has extraction issues with the Weatherby. The primer pocket will open up on the Weatherby before pressure becomes an issue.

The Ultra Mags are smaller diameter than the Excaliber. Don`t come back later saying nobody warned you. You say that you won`t load them high enough to cause extraction problems, well then you will be at 338 Lapua velocities. The 338-378 is very close to the Excaliber. Problem is Norma makes the Weatherby brass. I`m not saying Norma is low quality, I`m saying the Weatherby can`t be loaded as hot as the Excaliber because of the soft case head. Nobody has extraction issues with the Weatherby. The primer pocket will open up on the Weatherby before pressure becomes an issue.

Is it possible to just order a reamer cut to specks that work and run the brass through dies made off the reamer prints?

Give the Excaliber about .020-.023 case taper from base to shoulder and it should work fine.

Yeah thats good to have someone with experience.

What I cant work out is if the 338-378 is so close to the Excalibur and the Weatherby / Norma brass is so soft why do I keep reading that with a (say) 34'' barrel its not hard to get 3100 fps out of a 338-378 with a 300 with out extraction problems.
And the Excalibur has around 8 grns more case capacity,Kirby wrote once when he was developing the 338 Raptor that the Jamison brass was fine at 61000-62000 psi but had extraction problems when he got to 65000.
Can you tell us what velocities and with what projectile weight etc that you started to have extraction trouble,
Thanks

Yeah thats good to have someone with experience.

What I cant work out is if the 338-378 is so close to the Excalibur and the Weatherby / Norma brass is so soft why do I keep reading that with a (say) 34'' barrel its not hard to get 3100 fps out of a 338-378 with a 300 with out extraction problems.
And the Excalibur has around 8 grns more case capacity,Kirby wrote once when he was developing the 338 Raptor that the Jamison brass was fine at 61000-62000 psi but had extraction problems when he got to 65000.
Can you tell us what velocities and with what projectile weight etc that you started to have extraction trouble,
Thanks
I was running 300gr Bergers @ 3080fps with 29" barrel. Vestals was running 30" barrel and velocity was almost the same. The reason you are getting 3100fps in Weatherby is because of barrel length. Kirby`s Raptor has more taper than the Excaliber. Anytime pressure is about 62,000 and higher on a Lapua size case head, taper should be around .010-.012 per inch because extraction becomes an issue. I also consider barrel life. Any 338 on a Cheytac case is too much. Barrel life is too short. This big case necked down to 338 limits powder choices. I don`t run ball powder this slow because they vary so much in burn rates. Also carbon buildup is terrible. Thats why the 416 Barrett never caught on. H-50BMG is the best choice in my book because it`s not temp sensitive like ball powder. The 338-378 has a belt. The belts thickness varies too much so that means headspace varies also. Thats why the Excaliber came out. I have shot just about every 338 made. With the high quality and availability of 338 Lapua brass, go with an improved version with 30" barrel. 300gr bullets @ 3000-3050 fps is my choice now. Most of Kirby`s cartridges are NOT made for high volume shooting. They are mostly made for hunting where the guns don`t get shot alot. I can get close to 1000 round barrel life with 338 Lapua IMP with 1/2 moa or less. After shooting that round out to 2449yds and a close friend shooting his out to 2662yds, I don`t see a need for anything bigger. Once the distance exceeds that, go with 375 Cheytac. Speed isn`t everything.

A member named Autorotate has one for sale and can probably help you out.

Do a search for Autorotate and the third post has pictures of the rifle.

J E CUSTOM

If someone would like advice from actual real world experience behind the rifle/reloading bench with the 338 Excalibur please PM me. JE Custom and specweldtom would be two other members worth listening to as well.

The internet is full of B.S. that can be expensive and painful to wade through....best to rely on actual experience and not conjecture with a project like this.

Good shooting fellas.

If someone would like advice from actual real world experience behind the rifle/reloading bench with the 338 Excalibur please PM me. JE Custom and specweldtom would be two other members worth listening to as well.

The internet is full of B.S. that can be expensive and painful to wade through....best to rely on actual experience and not conjecture with a project like this.

Good shooting fellas.

Please feel free to iron out anything that has been mislead. I would like it to be open and we can all hear either good or bad. What is your experience with the Excalibur. Did you find any sticky cases at max pressure? Is it worth going to the Excalibur over a lapua ai?

Are you selling this gun to fund a new lapua terminator? And if so why?

Oh I didn't mean to infer there was any misinformation....let me read the whole thread and I'll post upthe best post I can.

Oh I didn't mean to infer there was any misinformation....let me read the whole thread and I'll post upthe best post I can.

Ok thanks,

I am was really wanting to build one and didn't want any suprises. The brass price is stiff but possible ease of no fireforming and hoping to hit 3100 fps with the 300 bergers makes up for it.

338 Excalibur is one that interests me also as it has impressive ballistics. One thought that I have entertained is it would be a great cartridge to neck down to 6.5. But everyone that I mentioned that idea to wasn't interested.

What was stated on case taper isn't unique to a caliber.

Chamberings with a case taper less than .009 TPI will likely manifest bolt lift/sticky extraction pressure signs prior to reaching full velocity potential at maximum pressures.

Other cases that have greater body taper will likely manifest case head pressure signs (extractor plunger marks, flatter primers, etc) when loading to full velocity potential at maximum pressures.

Extremly low taper cases won't allow the full velocity potential to be realized...so all the case capacity gained by minimizing case taper is wasted....as you'll run into a sticky bolt before you ever realize the full potential of the case.

IMO .009 tpi is about the breaking point between starting to realize the benefits of increased case capacity vs running into issues with case extraction limiting realized velocity/pressure potential.

A ELR or LR shooting system is limited by it's weakest link. If you want to shoot the any ELR/LR rifle to it's full potential, you're going to need to compete in F-Class/NRA/Competitions or actively shoot at long range with another rifle, to ensure your skills behind the rifle and the reloading bench aren't the limiting factor.

The cost of brass is going to be one of the smallest expenditures in the whole system. I have some Lapua brass that has been pressed pretty hard in a 30-338 Lapua Imp and a 338 Lapua Imp, and after 7-8 firings, it's still going strong. It's so popular because you can buy a box, and it'll out last the barrel on the rifle. Not so with the Excalibur Jamison or A-Square brass I have.

I've loaded mine back to 3115-3125 fps with V570 and 300 Bergers and a 31.25 9.98 twist Brux, and the Excalibur brass is still going strong after 5-6 firings. But it's no where near the quality, consistency or toughness as the Lapua brass.

If the question is Excalibur vs Lapua vs APS wildcats vs 338?...I say pick your caliber and go shoot it.

If given a $50 bet on a 1 MOA rock at 1 mile...and five straight/square built rifles are laying on the ground....The shooter is going to make the difference between the chamberings.

Example...Travis Redell built me a 7RM for F-Class. It spits the 180 Hybrids around 30-50-3075 fps. Shawn at Straight Shot gunsmithing built me a 11 lb 338 Lapua hunting rig and it spits the 300 Bergers depending on the load 2650-2750 out of its' 26" barrel. They both have nearly identical wind drift at 1K+. So what does that do....well it means as a shooter...as I read wind conditions during the hunt (whether it's fur, rocks or steel), that the experience gained from tossing hundreds of round down range on F-Class competitions....rolls right over to calling conditions/drift for the hunting rifle.

There are some great new powders out that are going to breathe new life into older cartridges....the 338 Excalibur is a boomer for sure.

338 LMAI 28" barrel is 2920 fps with 300 grainers

338 Excalibur with 31.25" is 3115-3125 fps with 300 grainers. If you could stand another inch of barrel, you could be in Cheytac territory, on a .580 bolt face and "factory" sized action footprint, and you can still use a Redding T7 or Ultramag press. It won't be a repeater, and you won't be able to extract a loaded round though. I can't do that with my Cheytac either though?

And if folks would post specific questions, I'd be happy to offer specific answers.

Dies are going to be a PITA to get. I was lucky and got Redding to make a custom set.

Horneber brass is going to be the best brass you can buy for the chambering. It will be pricey at over $3 a piece, and you'll have potentially a 6+ month plus wait to get it. Jamison brass can definitely hold you over until you get the Horneber stuff though.

Powders will be H50BMG, US869, V570, Retumbo and RL33. Ramshot Mag and H1000 will work, but load density will be load and will velocity potential.

You'll need to anneal and SS media tumble and love on your brass and treat each piece as work of art...vs the Lapua or RUMs because the stuff is so much more readily available, it won't hurt so bad when you lose a primer pocket or lose a piece in the field.

You'll use 120+ grains of powder per charge, so that eats up time at the bench throwing huge charges, and empties out the powder cabinet pretty quick too.

You'll need to use Cheytac sized ammo cases for storage and field transport. Check your case trimmer and make sure it's got enough throw/travel to trim a case this big. Same on your press. It's a tight squeeze for a T7, better on the Ultramag press.

If you're going to build a gun with a barrel longer than 30" I say go for an Excalibur.

If you're going to build a gun with a barrel 28-30" I say build a Lapua IMP or RUM wildcat.

If you're going to build a gun with a barrel that's 26-28 go straight Lapua or RUM.

My 2 cents...for free!

Good shooting! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.