Who has a 308 Norma

Down to 300 WM, 308 Norma, or 30 Nosler, and probably leaning away from the Nosler.

Can the 308 Norma really beat the Win Mags performance with 200 grain and up bullets due to the longer neck. How does performance fair with the 180 grain.

Of the three I'd go with the 300 Win Mag.
Not that much difference between 308 NM and 300 WM loaded to sane pressures;
Ammunition for 300 WM is available in North America, Europe and Africa;
Cases are available for all 3, but cheaper for 300WM;
There is tons of load data available for the 300 WM
You will have better resale value with 300WM then 308 NM; jury is still out on the Nosler;

You have not stated the purpose, but I assume you want this for a hunting rifle.

That being said the only 30 caliber magnum I have a 300 H&H magnum and when I rebarrel it, I will be going with 300WM. Again they all will deliver a thump on an animal, but mainly for the availability of ammo in out of the way places.

Good luck

Jerry

It's been a while since I have held a 308 Norma in my hand, but when I did I also had a 7mm RM and a 338 win mag at the same time. I could hardly tell the difference between the 3 cases other that the bullet size. IMO the 300 Win mag is bigger that the 308 Norma and will hold more of the good stuff!! I'm thinking that the 300WM and the 30 Nostler are roughly the same size.....but then again, I have never ever saw a 30 Nostler, so I could be wrong there. Maybe it was the 300 WBY and the 30 Nostler there were close in capacity.

Anyway, the 300 WM has prooven itself over the years and would be my choice.

Just my .02
Tod

I have owned a 308 Norma for 25 years or so. I have loaded it primarily with 180 gr bullets. I have not tried heavier. Current load H-1000, below book max over 3100 fps, 24" barrel. Most people do not know what it is due to the Win Mags popularity. It is near the same performance as the WM. My Dad had one when I was a kid, hence my affliction. It has been a hand load only gun. Brass is not really popular but Midway does have it. If you do end up trying it, I have two sets of dies for some reason and I do not need both. Some day I'll put a better barrel on it, bit it will always be a 308 Norma.

Last edited:
Down to 300 WM, 308 Norma, or 30 Nosler, and probably leaning away from the Nosler.

Can the 308 Norma really beat the Win Mags performance with 200 grain and up bullets due to the longer neck. How does performance fair with the 180 grain.
I do not own a 300 Win. Mag. nor a 30 Nosler, so I have no idea what is better. I do have a 308 Norma Mag., for over 40 years. I never had a problem getting brass in bulk over the years.

I used 180 gr. bullets for 30 yrs., the last 10 yrs. I used 165 gr. for Groundhogs and Whitetail Deer and some target shooting at the local Long range club.

Over the years, no Whitetail deer, has ever went more than 40 yds. on a dead run, heart shot. On Groundhogs, out to 1/2 mile, it's just fun.

Would I trade it for another big 30, no, it works for me!

Hogginking

I recently just built a custom .308 Norma and I have owned a .300 Win Mag previously. I have a complete build thread on it if you are interested, here's the link http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-long-range-build-179008/

I much prefer the .308 Norma, more efficient, brass is always available from Norma and Bertram and can be easily made from .300WM brass, and it meets or exceed the Win Mag. I have a 28" barrel shooting 66gr of RL23 with heavy duty Bertram brass going 2965fps with a 208gr ELD-M. That is 65fps faster than my 26" barrel .300WM and I am burning 8 grains less powder. Accuracy has been awesome with just random loads and no serious load development. The Norma also fits in the mag box better and can be throated longer so high BC bullets can be seated farther out but still fit into an unmodified long action mag box while having a lot of room in the case for powder. There is no brass available today for the Win Mag other than RWS, which is more than $2 a piece, that is as good as the Bertram .308 Norma brass. It is very thick and strong and holds up longer than the Norma made brass and you use less powder to get the same velocities. I think the .308 Norma is a better cartridge all around.

308 NORMA is great, but in that class of cartridges there is no need to deviate from the plain jane 300WM. Its just too standardized and plain awesome. But that's me... I don't like re-inventing the wheel.

308 NORMA is great, but in that class of cartridges there is no need to deviate from the plain jane 300WM. Its just too standardized and plain awesome. But that's me... I don't like re-inventing the wheel.

Actually the .300 Win Mag re-invented the wheel since the Norma came out first. :D I use to think the same way until I started messing with the Norma because of the brass availability and how efficient it is for its size. I love the .308 Norma and even though it doesn't outperform the .300 Win Mag, it matches it with less powder and I believe it too be slightly more accurate as well

Actually the .300 Win Mag re-invented the wheel since the Norma came out first. :D I use to think the same way until I started messing with the Norma because of the brass availability and how efficient it is for its size. I love the .308 Norma and even though it doesn't outperform the .300 Win Mag, it matches it with less powder and I believe it too be slightly more accurate as well

Tag.

I had to look it up. I believe its a 30-338 wm.
The two are similar, but the Norma is about .050 longer than the 30-338. Even with being .070 shorter than the .300WM and a shorter body because of the longer neck, I'm getting 65fps faster than my previous.300 Win Mag got.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.